Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
The display of the iPhone 5 is already astounding. Why do we need better resolution?

I agree. They are wasting time with the displays, there are a few other aspects of this phone that need re-examaning, not something thats already perfect.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
The display of the iPhone 5 is already astounding. Why do we need better resolution?
Because the display can be even better.

Back in 2007, the non-Retina display was also astounding. Imagine we would have said "it's good enough now". We'd still have crappy viewing angles, crappy colors, low contrast, lower brightness, more reflections.

I can't wait until the day there are displays which can show images that look real.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012

Back in 2007, the non-Retina display was also astounding. Imagine we would have said "it's good enough now". We'd still have crappy viewing angles, crappy colors, low contrast, lower brightness, more reflections.
I can't wait until the day there are displays which can show images that look real.

Technically no, we wouldnt. Because we wouldnt know anything else/better. So It would still be astounding.

In all seriousness how much better could the retina display get thats visable to the human eye?

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
Just saw this news ... I am quite excited ;) soon super retina display going to kill super amoled...http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01/15/pixelquadrupling/

HTC already has phones out with better quality displays. The S4 will have a revolutionary display as well. Retina is a term used and marketed by Apple for a display with a very high pixel density. In other words there is no such thing as a "Retina"...

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Technically no, we wouldnt. Because we wouldnt know anything else/better. So It would still be astounding.

In all seriousness how much better could the retina display get thats visable to the human eye?
Much better. The limit, I suppose, is when you can't distinguish an image show on a display between an image shown in real.

Also, there's still lots of work to do with the pixel density: I, and lots of others, for example, can still easily pick out the individual pixels on a Retina display.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Not innovative.

(it is, I just wanted to see what it feels like to never think anything is, no matter what they do... it's sad actually, very sad...:rolleyes:)

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Much better. The limit, I suppose, is when you can't distinguish an image show on a display between an image shown in real.

Also, there's still lots of work to do with the pixel density: I, and lots of others, for example, can still easily pick out the individual pixels on a Retina display.

And I still think someone needs to make a 4K phone. I can't for the life of me figure out why 4K isn't already a standard.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
And I still think someone needs to make a 4K phone. I can't for the life of me figure out why 4K isn't already a standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Do you realize what 4K is? It'd damn near impossible to fit that into a phone anytime in the near future. It would also be hugely redundant at that resolution on such a small screen. The only thing it would benefit is the 10"+ tablets and computer monitors.

Also, just look at the prices of the projectors/monitors/cameras that already utilize that technology.

Last edited:

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Do you realize what 4K is? It'd damn near impossible to fit that into a phone anytime in the near future. It was also be hugely redundant at that resolution on such a small screen. The only thing it would benefit is the 10"+ tablets and computer monitors.

We don't need any more itty bitty upgrades. We need something substantial, there's nothing holding us back. The guys at Apple already proved what is possible, I think the iPhone 5 is a test to see how far they could stretch the limits of a phone.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
For the same reason explorers leave this planet to discover the unknown.
It is our quest to improve; to do better.

Agreed. But if they keep improving, will we see a difference? There is only a limit to the human eye to distinguish pixels, right?

I agree. They are wasting time with the displays, there are a few other aspects of this phone that need re-examaning, not something thats already perfect.

That's what I think. They could try for example work out NFC integration many people would like on the iPhone. :)

I actually like the display as it is, although I have to agree with you there. Technology is all about innovation and improvement. So they won't stay by this "milestone", they will keep improving. :)

robbyg

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
Just saw this news ... I am quite excited ;) soon super retina display going to kill super amoled...http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01/15/pixelquadrupling/

Just a few reasons why this would be a bad idea.

1) Your eyes cant see down to that resolution so there would be no visible difference. So whats the point?

2) The file sizes of Videos and streaming content would balloon four fold so the download speed would cause huge stuttering problems with streaming and suck up your memory on stored movies.

3) FPS on games plus movies would nose dive along with Battery life and a few other things like scrolling.

4) When you put together items 2&3 you end up back at item 1.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I disagree that the resolution couldn't be better. You could look at a picture of flowers on these products, but somehow they just don't look believable like in real life.

Retina doesn't wow anybody.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I disagree that the resolution couldn't be better. You could look at a picture of flowers on these products, but somehow they just don't look believable like in real life.

Retina doesn't wow me.

Fixed that for you. The resolution could be better, yes. It could always be better. But what you're recommending is overkill. 4K on a 4" screen, much less a 5 or 5.5" screen would be a waste of resources, a battery killer, and completely unnecessary on a mobile phone. Images will never look like real life until 3D imagery is perfected. You're always going to be looking at a 2D image on a screen and your eyes will instantly tell you it's not real.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I disagree, games could look more realistic. Just think of the power we could have if we were getting post XBOX360 quality on a iPhone. The possibilities would be endless.

I say go for it.

From this article, it appears that the human eye is capable of 530 pixels per inch:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/eye-resolution.html

Based on a 120 degree of vision, the human eye can capture 576 megapixels of data.

All the math is in the article. It's a rather interesting read.

Reading

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
While having a super retina display with an absurdly high pixel count would be really cool and all, I would prefer if Apple went with a 720p screen on the next iPhone. It'll line up really nicely with their new 16:9 aspect ratio on the iPhone 5. But I know Apple wouldn't go with 720p screen because it screws with all the currently established apps in the app store. And not to mention just by increasing the height of the iPhone 5 screen by a few pixels people were already getting their panties in a twist.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
How can an iPhone be retina and NOT HD?

Retina and HD are both just marketing Terms. To be "HD" the resolutions would have to be either 1920×1080p or 1280×720p. Even though the screen on the iphone looks better then every HD TV currently on the market and has a higher Pixel Density.

The people who claim they want 1920×1080p on a phone just want to brag about specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.