Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Anyone have any good stocks they're investing in for 2013? I plan to invest this year, but haven't trusted stocks before. I'm more financially stable now, so feel like investing. Any suggestions? Also, how much is taken out from taxes, 30%?

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Anyone have any good stocks they're investing in for 2013? I plan to invest this year, but haven't trusted stocks before. I'm more financially stable now, so feel like investing. Any suggestions? Also, how much is taken out from taxes, 30%?

Idk, my Nokia and Ford stocks paid off handsomely this past year, but I seldom invest in individual stocks unless I'm really confident they'll be winners. If you're interested in investing and want actual returns over the long term then just buy total stock market index funds and be done with it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
HMV
Jessops
Woolworths
(Probably mean nothing to you in the US)
I have always liked the idea of investing, but I don't know enough about stocks. A friend of mine has quite a decent portfolio and recons on about 10% return. Is this what people earn from stocks on average?

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
OK, this is a Pillory, but you get the idea.

KGB:D

Attachments

• Stocks.jpg
    Stocks.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 112

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010

I always recommend the ones that don't go down in value.

You do sound like you're ready, and you've come to the right place for reliable advice and answers to your financial questions, that's for sure.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I always recommend the ones that don't go down in value.

You do sound like you're ready, and you've come to the right place for reliable advice and answers to your financial questions, that's for sure.

Sarcasm? Can't really tell.

----------

What is your investing goal?

Getting rich quick? Picking the best stocks and mutual funds that are going to beat the market?

Slow and steady, stock that doesn't go down in value (a lot). The opposite of Facebook.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Dividend paying gold mining and streaming stocks.

ABX, NEM, SVM, HL.

NEM with a 3% div. yield is just downright awesome.

-t

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Slow and steady, stock that doesn't go down in value (a lot). The opposite of Facebook.

Then go to Vanguard.com, purchase a total stock market index fund and start an IRA, invest 5500 every year in it.

If you have more to invest, do the same, but in a non-tax deferred account.

Set up auto investing if you can, and then never look at it again.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Then go to Vanguard.com, purchase a total stock market index fund and start an IRA, invest 5500 every year in it.

Would it slowly build up or something?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Might as well start a Roth IRA while he can. Pay tax up front on the deposits; all gains are tax free.

Edit: Of course, I am in no way giving tax advice. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I looked into the total stock market index fund; it seemed to fluctuate a lot. As if I'd never get any $ out of it.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Might as well start a Roth IRA while he can. Pay tax up front on the deposits; all gains are tax free.

Edit: Of course, I am in no way giving tax advice. :rolleyes:

Yeah that's what I'm saying, but you have to consider there is a max contribution every year, but if you're willing to go over that, I say follow the same strategy, but invest it in a low cost index fund as well.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I looked into the total stock market index fund; it seemed to fluctuate a lot. As if I'd never get any $ out of it.

If you're really serious about investing, buy The little red book of common sense investing, and start there.

If you want to sit around and hand pick stocks as your strategy, I think you're playing a losing hand.

Also, consider I have nothing to gain from what I say to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.