Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knuckleheadz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
United Kingodm
Hi guys,

I think these are straight forward questions that I think I know the answer to but I'd like the reassurance of the wider (more knowledgeable) Apple Community!

I have the latest MacBook Pro 13" running 10.8.2 (with all software updates) and I have recently ordered a base 27" iMac without a FusionDrive (due early February)

My MBP is configured with all the audio software that I need and I really don't want to install it all again on my iMac (although I know some software will need to be re-authorised)... It also means that I can open arrangements on either machine without fear of missing files or plug-ins.

1. Can I make a clone (CCC) of my MBP boot drive and use it to be the boot drive on my new iMac?
  2. I have bought an external USB 3.0 enclosure and a Corsair 240GB SSD - Can I use this as the boot disk?

I think both answers are YES, but I would be grateful if someone could confirm this.

Many thanks
Jon

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Actually, I think the answer to (1) is "no", since the version of OS X that runs on the new iMacs is currently unique to them.

I could not get my new iMac 27" to boot from an external SSD that had 10.8.2 installed from the App Store - I had to restore it from internet backup and install the version of OS X it pulls down from the recovery server (or clone over the OS from the internal HD).

Your best bet if you don't want to do that is to use the migration assistant during or after setup to migrate all your apps, settings and data across to the new 27" once you have the OS up and running on the external disk.

But regarding (2), yes, you can boot from an external USB3 drive if you want to.

Knuckleheadz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
United Kingodm
Thanks Joe, I really appreciate your answer...

Shame on number one, but I guess it will give me an opportunity to clean up some of the rubbish that is on the MBP (plus any excuse to use the iMac!)

Good news on number two.. and thanks for the tip on what options I have :)

Thanks again
Jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.