Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
looking to pick up a used Mac Mini for Home Theater use only. I would like to connect it via TB to HDMI adapter to my Receiver. A few questions.
1 Will there be any problem with the TB to HDMI adapter,will it carry video and audio to receiver?
2 Is there anyway to control Mac Mini wirelessly via my MBA?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
looking to pick up a used Mac Mini for Home Theater use only. I would like to connect it via TB to HDMI adapter to my Receiver. A few questions.
1 Will there be any problem with the TB to HDMI adapter,will it carry video and audio to receiver?
Yes.
2 Is there anyway to control Mac Mini wirelessly via my MBA?
You could control the mini from the MBA with Screen Sharing. I prefer to use Plex for managing and delivering movies, TV shows and music videos to my HDTV from my mini. I control Plex with my iPhone, using the Plex app for mobile.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
Yes.

You could control the mini from the MBA with Screen Sharing. I prefer to use Plex for managing and delivering movies, TV shows and music videos to my HDTV from my mini. I control Plex with my iPhone, using the Plex app for mobile.

Not familiar with Plex, but will look into it.
Just noticed new Mac Mini has HDMI and a 500 gig HD for $600 I may just buy new. I currently use ATV to get Movies off my MBA but only having a 128SSD I keep all my movies on a External HDD. So i must physically move movies to iTunes and delete when finished. Kind of a PITA. Thanks for the input.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not familiar with Plex, but will look into it.
Just noticed new Mac Mini has HDMI and a 500 gig HD for $600 I may just buy new. I currently use ATV to get Movies off my MBA but only having a 128SSD I keep all my movies on a External HDD. So i must physically move movies to iTunes and delete when finished. Kind of a PITA. Thanks for the input.
I prefer Plex because it plays more file types than iTunes, has a better interface, automatically downloads movie posters and metadata, will manage files from multiple internal and external and networked drives, and can play content on most devices on the network, including Macs, Windows PCs, iPads, iPhones, Android, etc. I haven't tried using it with an ATV, but I understand it's possible to make it work with one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.