Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
I recently signed up for iTunes Match and got decent results for my library. Using some guides online, I then used iTunes to replace some of my lower quality CD rips from back in the 128kbps days to Matched M4As.

When I then sync my iOS devices, I noticed that these new matched copies did not sync automatically via iTunes. In fact, they showed up as greyed-out entries in the Music app (iOS 6).

I can turn on iTunes Match on the device and download them from the store no problem, but what happens if I stop subscribing to Match? Will iTunes refuse to locally sync the Match M4As if I let my subscription lapse? I'm starting to think replacing my old copies wasn't such a good idea.

Did any early adopters let their subscription lapse? What has your experience been?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Here's a good one from Macworld.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163620/how_to_upgrade_tracks_to_itunes_match_fast.html

OP, syncing it basically turned off if you have Match enabled. Why not just use Match on your iOS devices? I still have Match so I can't test syncing matched songs, but I can say I've synced matched songs to my wife's iPhone just fine.

I hadn't enabled Match on my device, so it was still syncing locally.

The point was, as I mentioned, can you sync downloaded Matched songs after your subscription lapses if you've replaced your originals with Matched tracks?

If you were able to sync a matched track to another iPhone I would think I'd be ok and it was just some weirdness with the process. I was just worried that since I replaced my library with matched tracks I'd be locked in to the service indefinitely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.