Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Is it possible for apple to make the top and bottom bezels waste less space? For ex, maybe by using iPad mini's home button size?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Think about the things inside the device.

The earpiece, the sensors, the battery, the heat envelopes, the speakers, the microphones... etc

They need to go somewhere.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
on the ip5, the top and bottom parts of the front face are minimal, the home button is the total height of the bottom piece. unless they made a smaller button.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Of course the phone's innards are a limiting factor, but I'm pretty sure Apple will lose the bezels as soon as they can.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I really don't understand questions like this, of course it's possible, just like it's possible for them to make a 2" phone. Ask yourself if it's practical or a good idea.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
I don't think they can get rid of them. The top and bottom of the new phone are glass to allow the wifi and cellular antennas to receive a signal properly. I'm sure if they could enclosure the whole thing in aluminum they would have though.

Last edited:

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Apple wants the iphone to be instantly recognizable. It's a design choice, and nothing else. There's no hardware limitation whatsoever stopping them from making the top and bottom bezels smaller.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Perhaps with fingerprint recognition will come a non-pysical button (requiring a finger touch so it doesn't go off in your pocket). That would leave only the provision for a speaker. That could be the glass itself, or a portion of it, or just a tiny hole in it or Apple will say we don't need speakers...

Maybe a sculpted metal case mated to a full curved glass front. Would look about as sleek and uncluttered as physically possible at that point.

Remember the stories about how Apple bought some expensive machines to cut curved glass?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Yes I think they can, they could had kept the 4 casing while stretching the viewable screen area for the 16:9, BUT my guess is, once again they went, THINNER! 'Nuff already.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I really think the main reason why we haven't seen a change is because it has become iconic to the look of the iPhone. Even though the phone got taller, just glancing at it it's hard to tell whether it is a 5, 4s, 4, etc. Look at the silhouette logo for "smartphone". Almost everywhere you go it is the iphone silhouette with the big bezels.

Apple is also big on the "you can use the iPhone one handed and touch anywhere on the screen with your thumb". If you reduce this space, it might look aesthetically nice, but it also forces you to either reposition your hand (how you hold the phone) or go about using the phone in a different way.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They will most certainly shrink those wasted spaces for the next design once smaller components become available and everybody will look at the iPhone 5 like a strangely elongated outdated device full of wasted space just like we currently do at the "squatty" 4/4S.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
They will most certainly shrink those wasted spaces for the next design once smaller components become available and everybody will look at the iPhone 5 like a strangely elongated outdated device full of wasted space just like we currently do at the "squatty" 4/4S.

So true. If Apple looses all that honkin' upper space in the next phone, it will really make the iPhone 5 look goofy.

Man, you'd love to be a fly on the wall in Apple's iPhone 6 design meetings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.