Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uk1simon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
UK
I want to store all my files in one location on iCloud, stored and organised as I see fit. Not just Apple authorised files, that have to be of a certain origin, but any file I wish to put there.

I would like for instance to have a folder on iCloud which contains a mixture of application files. Say for instance I might have a holiday folder which contains pages files, photo files and word documents, impossible with iCloud!!

Till then i'm stuck with Skydrive, Dropbox or every other service that lets you do this.

If Apple would turn iCloud into a true fully flexable cloud storage solution that would make my day :)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I want to store all my files in one location on iCloud, stored and organised as I see fit. Not just Apple authorised files, that have to be of a certain origin, but any file I wish to put there.

I would like for instance to have a folder on iCloud which contains a mixture of application files. Say for instance I might have a holiday folder which contains pages files, photo files and word documents, impossible with iCloud!!

Till then i'm stuck with Skydrive, Dropbox or every other service that lets you do this.

If Apple would turn iCloud into a true fully flexable cloud storage solution that would make my day :)
They had that.
They decided they didn't want to offer that kind of product.

You can keep dreaming, but I recommend you use one of those products you already mentioned.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon

Yeah....The app is the center of the picture for Apple. Inside the app you do not care where your file is as long as its accessible. Folders of associated files from diverse applications is not the appliance model its the computer model. I agree with you there.

Which is why i will use both iCloud and Dropbox for the foreseeable future.

With a nod to the Apple philosophy i have to say i am doing more things the app way. I have more and more silos of data because of 1Password, Evernote and others. That is good for the app people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.