Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaCAD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
My wife needs to watch her DVD tv show to fall asleep to. We have a Sony Bravia in the master bedroom that has HDMI CEC and a Sony Bluray with HDMI CEC. HDMI CEC was the perfect solution for her sleep routine. Instead of multiple remotes and button selections, it simplified it to just 1 remote with 2 buttons pushed. She would first push "Play" which would turn on both the TV and Bluray, change the tv input to the Bluray, and start the DVD where it last left off. Then she would hit the sleep button and she would be set. This worked great especially if she woke up in the middle of the night and needed to turn back on the show to fall back asleep. The only downfall is that the disc for the tv show had to constantly be changed.

I decided to rip the DVDs so that we could use a media player to eliminate the hassle of the DVDs. I then ran into problems. Plex on my mac mini became too complicated, Plex doesn't easily continuously play tv shows without addition button commands. Also the mac mini doesn't have HDMI CEC which requires now 2 remotes and multiple button selections.

I then looked into the Apple TV. I can do continuously play with video playlists but it doesn't support HDMI CEC and I have to have iTunes always open on my mac (sometimes I have to go into bootcamp for work while my wife is going to bed).

I also looked into Roku but it also doesn't have HDMI CEC and we don't want to purchase a harmony remote or use an iOS app because its like a second remote. I then looked into the WD live and it now has HDMI CEC but many people are complaining that it doesn't work correctly.

Does any one have a recommendation for a media player that is dead simple to use like what we had with the bluray? I don't care about its streaming service capabilities, I have Sat TV and don't use hulu or netflix. I just want something that can play my .MP4 files which has a nice interface and HDMI CEC.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
If all the other devices in your house are Apple I'd say get ATV. If its a mix, then I'd probably go with something else. I could live without my ATV, but its really convenient for getting most of my media to play in any room I want.

MaCAD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Everything in my house is apple (ipad, 2 iphones, 2011 mac mini and mbp). I do like the apple tv since I can airplay from ios and screen share from my mac mini. I just wish that I could plug a hard drive into the apple tv and that it had HDMI CEC. Even if a jailbreak eventually came out, that wouldn't fix the lack of HDMI CEC.

khollister, do you have the WD Live? If so, what do you think of it?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Wouldn't a Harmony remote fix this issue? I don't have one, but heard people on here using it for their Apple TV.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Everything in my house is apple (ipad, 2 iphones, 2011 mac mini and mbp). I do like the apple tv since I can airplay from ios and screen share from my mac mini. I just wish that I could plug a hard drive into the apple tv and that it had HDMI CEC. Even if a jailbreak eventually came out, that wouldn't fix the lack of HDMI CEC.

khollister, do you have the WD Live? If so, what do you think of it?

Yes, I have one we use with a 3TB HDD in our RV instead of carrying DVD's/blu-rays. For video it is fine; for music it has some issues - the UI is not as nice as the ATV and it doesn't play ALAC. The UI for movies is pretty decent, although it isn't really set up for TV shows as I recall (I only use it for movies).

I use ATV's at the house due to iTunes compatibility, iOS remote app, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.