Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I have been thinking that 2 hard disks aren't enough in a decent desktop.

I currently have a 240GB SSD and. 1TB drive for non essential data and Time Machine duty on the system drive.

I would like to mount 1 or 2 more drives and was thinking of bolting them to the top of the PCI slot area. Maybe by modifying a drive bracket and then using a PCIe SATA card to connect them.

I have never seen anyone mount like that, I hate the idea of mounting over the RAM area and running the cables to it there.

Anyone done anything like that??

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I have been thinking that 2 hard disks aren't enough in a decent desktop.

I currently have a 240GB SSD and. 1TB drive for non essential data and Time Machine duty on the system drive.

I would like to mount 1 or 2 more drives and was thinking of bolting them to the top of the PCI slot area. Maybe by modifying a drive bracket and then using a PCIe SATA card to connect them.

I have never seen anyone mount like that, I hate the idea of mounting over the RAM area and running the cables to it there.

Anyone done anything like that??

Why not just get an external drive?

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Because there is loads of space inside and I hate running extra cables around my apartment when it could be inside.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
You could just get a 2.5" drive, which would be bus powered by USB or however you attach it.

I wouldn't try what you mention unless you can add some kind of vibration dampening material to the mounting scheme, maybe a bit of foam cushion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.