Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
Hey all,

My old Desktop failed tonight...the HD is gone. Ive backed up so ive not lost anything..

Problem is that the Superdrive failed on it a few months ago also.

It was installed with ML which is probably hastened its demise as it went from being quick and snappy on SL to being slow and full of bugs on ML :(

I need to know if i can still install Mountain Lion somehow with a replacement Sata drive in it and no Superdrive?

Possible?

I know you can use Recovery on newer machines, but not on this 2008 iMac 24"..

Any help would be great...thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you have a Firewire cable, you can start the MBP in your signature in Target Disk Mode and use its superdrive to install Mac OS X 10.6 onto any HDD connected to the iMac.

2012_01_02_pA1_Firewire_Ports.png

Nov 28, 2010
located
thanks for that, but i need to install Mountain Lion, not Snow Leopard.

I thought, you did not like ML for its bugs and such.

Anyway, if you still have that MBP, you could go to the Mac App Store (MAS) and redownload OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and NOT install it on your MBP but create a bootable installer with a USB flash memory thumb drive or DVD.

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
I thought, you did not like ML for its bugs and such.

Anyway, if you still have that MBP, you could go to the Mac App Store (MAS) and redownload OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and NOT install it on your MBP but create a bootable installer with a USB flash memory thumb drive or DVD.

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

legend! will try....nice one!!

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
Currently looking at a Seagate and a WD on Amazon, i assume the WD is a better bet after the Seagate recall?

----------

If you pop to an apple store they'll do it for you :)

cheers...i think im good to go though...will keep it in mind if it doesnt work out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.