Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordQ

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I still have my iPad 1 and I use it daily, all-day long for college and entertainment.

I was thinking, do I need to upgrade to the iPad 5 this year? I mean, if it's not broke, you don't fix it right? And I can still work perfectly with my iPad 1, I still get 10 hours of battery life, only one app needs iOS 6 to update and the cameras are not a big deal for me.

Only something super amazing on iOS 7 could make me want the iPad 5 (or if the design match the renders we saw two days ago) the question is, when do you guys consider it's time to upgrade? Do you buy when you want or need? Also note that I'm an student and buy my Apple stuff with my own work and money.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I still have my iPad 1 and I use it daily, all-day long for college and entertainment.

I was thinking, do I need to upgrade to the iPad 5 this year? I mean, if it's not broke, you don't fix it right? And I can still work perfectly with my iPad 1, I still get 10 hours of battery life, only one app needs iOS 6 to update and the cameras are not a big deal for me.

Only something super amazing on iOS 7 could make me want the iPad 5 (or if the design match the renders we saw two days ago) the question is, when do you guys consider it's time to upgrade? Do you buy when you want or need? Also note that I'm an student and buy my Apple stuff with my own work and money.

I buy when I want since the iPad really can't be considered a "need".

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
In your case, I would say you know what you want and need.

If there are new apps or app updates you need that won't run on your iPad that would be an indicator it might be time to upgrade.

When your battery becomes too weak to be useable for you, that would be a time to think about getting a new iPad instead of just replacing the battery.

3Gornot3G

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
I struggled mightily when the 3 was released (ipad2 owner here), running through that same need vs want scenario. After several weeks I decided to stick with what I had, and almost immediately I was fine with the decision. Now, even further along, there isn't even an interest in an upgrade at this point.

It feels analogous to one of those marriage counseling stories with the rare happy ending.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I thought the upgrade from 2 to 3 was good because of the retina display. Version 6 brought faster digitizer speeds which helped with note taking and drawing.

I tested iPad 4 and found the faster speed helped redraws in large PDF files but that alone wasn't worth the upgrade for me.

I expect that iPad 5 will have an even faster processor which will help both note taking and PDF viewing. I'm hoping the digitizer will be improved so that drawing with a stylus will approach the feel of writing on paper.

Beyond that I would like the software to allow simultaneous use of two apps. I'd like to watch a podcast or read one document while writing into another document.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I'm at iPad3 user and I have a hard time going back to our old iPad1 now. If you can afford it, I would say you have waited plenty long enough to upgrade without feeling guilty. The kids use that one, my wife has a mini.

The mini is pretty awesome, but I like the horsepower and larger screen on my 3 for games.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I'll upgrade when I am not satisfied with what the the iPad can do. Here are some things that would entice me to upgrade.

• The display is severely damaged
  • AppleCare is expired.
  • iOS no longer supports my device.
  • My favorite apps require a newer iOS or hardware version.
  • The latest iteration has all the killer features I've been waiting for.

I won't be upgrading until june at the earliest my AppleCare runs out then. Chances are the fifth gen iPad will be released by then. I'm holding out for full stereo speakers and output, longer battery life, better cameras and possibly a new design.

I'm in no rush.

LordQ

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will wait for something really "magical" on the iPad 5 then, if not, I'll upgrade when most of my favourite apps –or iWork– require iOS 6 or later.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.