Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Currently suffering from this...neglected to get a flu shot this year and am curious..

If you came down with the flu this year did you get a flu shot?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I just got my flu shot this week. I should have went sooner but better late then never (or so my doctor said). Crossing my fingers I don't get it.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I got my flu shot in Oct12. How do you tell the difference between the flu and a severe cold, fever?

you know, thats a good question...i just assumed i had the flu..

work up friday feeling i got hit by a truck, aches pains, sore throat, chills and a fever ranging between 101 and 102 dg F.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
you know, thats a good question...i just assumed i had the flu..

work up friday feeling i got hit by a truck, aches pains, sore throat, chills and a fever ranging between 101 and 102 dg F.

I'd say the fever. I've had colds that make me feel ill, but for most colds, I just have clogged sinuses, a cough, and a sore throat during some point in the process, but I don't remember having a fever with them. What I find hard to imagine is 50 million deaths caused by a flu.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 12.07.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 12.07.32 PM.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 107

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I got my flu shot in Oct12. How do you tell the difference between the flu and a severe cold, fever?

You know the difference when you get the flu. :eek:

Last time I had it was 1991 and I was laid up in bed for 5 days. I've never bothered with the jabs though as they seem to knock a lot of people about.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire

Last time I had it was 1991 and I was laid up in bed for 5 days.
Yep, that sounds about right. I've only had the flu once, back when I was 19/20. I had to spend half the week in bed, and I lost half a stone in weight in that time.

If you need to ask what the difference is between a cold and the flu, it's safe to say you've never had the actual flu. ;)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Was sick for a bit these past 2 weeks, but I don't think it was the flu. Mainly just coughs and stuffy nose.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I had the flu shot in October but still got sick around New Years. Fever, coughing, etc. I still have the horrible cough. Friends who had the same or similar also still have the hacking. Their doctors call it the "100 Day Cough".
Yay. :mad:

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

I think, technically, they have to take a sample and have it analyzed. There are a lot of "flu like" illnesses this year, supposedly. However - this year the flu seems to be a 10 to 14 day affair.

Since a vaccination takes about 2 weeks before it is offering full protection, and since many people either don't know this or forget - they let their guard down after getting the shot by not washing their hands, staying away from people with the flu, etc... anyway... this accounts, I understand, for the the large number of people who claim the shot gave them the flu. When actually they got the flu the regular way before the shot took hold.

Also, the shot is only about 50% to 70% effective. So it's possible to get the shot. And still get the flu even after waiting the two weeks. That said, I understand that it is still a good idea to get the shot. Even if you don't need it, there are people around you who have compromised immune systems. If you get the flu, you may be putting their health at serious risk.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I had the flu after I mistakenly inhaled a lab sample of influenza virus.

I was ill for two weeks and felt utterly vile throughout, ever since I've been hesitant to label any cold I've had to be the flu.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

This. Everything hurts, and we're not talking like the day after your first workout pain, we're talking about the pain where your bones hurt. And then because you're so weak, you start to feel dizzy and nauseated whenever you do try and move around.

I usually go to the clinic at those first signs and get cortisone and penicillin shots. You're not supposed to as it weakens your immune system, but it helps with the fatigue, especially mine which is usually a level 10 pain threshold by the afternoon.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Never had a flu shot. Got the flu this holiday season, cough lasted 2 weeks. This is the first flu I have had in years. I think it's just a fluke really but hopefully what is done is done. I was flying a lot just before I came down with it.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I had a flu shot back in October and was then ill with Flu like symptoms for 48 hours. I had Flu shots before and never had any reaction to them but I am dubious about having a shot in the future.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I had it, fever, yellow mucus, and everything. It was only really bad for a day or two, but it was horrible for that time. I had some really strong nasal decongestants left over from a prescription. Without them it might have lasted much longer.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
No flu shot, no flue.

Don't get it unless you're in a risky demographic.

you know even if you are not in the risky demographic but hang around that group it is a good idea to get it. Reason being is it prevents the spread of the virus as you will not become a carrier with a mild case.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
you know even if you are not in the risky demographic but hang around that group it is a good idea to get it. Reason being is it prevents the spread of the virus as you will not become a carrier with a mild case.

Well if they get the flu shot it wouldn't matter much if I was carrying would it?

And I don't hang out with those demographics anyway, so for me personally I don't care.

ace198

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I had it a couple of times. The one time I was in & out of the bathroom(diarrhea or vomiting) for what seem like every 15 minutes and didn't eat anytime the whole time. I didn't want to get sick ever again after that. :(

Renzatic

Suspended
No flu shot...the flu. I think this is the sickest I've been in years and years.

I'm weak
I've got constant semi delirious fever dreams that keep waking me up every hour on the hour.
My stomach hurts
My fever comes and goes. It's like a roller coaster of sick
I smell bad from all the cold sweats
I haven't eaten anything cept a slice of rye bread in almost 24 hours
My head is killing me

It's terrible. I'm thinking about going to the emergency room and having them induce a coma so I don't have to deal with this for the next few days.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Neglected and ... currently with it.

On the Jello/Pudding/Toast diet today; dunno when I'll be back on cheeseburgers and Cokes and choco-fringed waffle cone desserts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.