Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrerSam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I have a Apple TV 3 for around a month now, i love it but only when its working properly, my problem is with home sharing i can only load a movie or tv show if i reset the Apple Tv, turn off my macs wifi on and off and turn home sharing off and on and then i can play the movie, sometimes it will cut out and say home sharing needs to be on and sometimes it will play the whole movie and if i go to watch another i have to do the same process.

Anyone have any ideas why, do i need a new router im using a N router but a kinda cheap one which i thought may be the issue?

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
Yeah, I tried Netgear, Dlink etc etc ended up tearing my hair out and buying an Airport Extreme. Not had any problems since.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
connected as guest?

Sometimes routers will have a guest access. If you've ever used that to connect the AppleTV, there is a possibility that it is sometimes switching over to it instead of the main access channel. Usually, guest access has vastly limited privileges. It may be preventing you from accessing your computer files through Home Sharing. Maybe after each reset, the Apple TV is reverting back to the main wifi channel. The problem develops again at some point when the AppleTV switches back to the guest channel. Remove the guest channel from the AppleTV's network connections memory settings so it can only connect on the main channel.

Then again, maybe that's not it. Good luck.

For what it's worth, I too have an Airport Extreme and have had no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.