Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hermitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
For other version of i device, changing international setting will affect region format, and change the google search URL to .xx for the local area. However, unfortunately, for the CH version i device, this is not the case. No matter which international setting I choose, I will only be prompt to google.cn for the search engine. This is an issue listed everywhere, but it seems apple cannot provide a good solution for some reason. I am hoping that someone here knows how to change to make it work.....

many thanks

hermitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
I think it prompt me to the normal google.com search page after I put it as address. What I mean in the post is that the "search" field of Safari will automatically use google.cn. I could use the regular google.com on Safari if I input the URL in the address field.:)

BTW, what will the "ncr" do if I add it in the URL? Thanks in advance

Try http://www.google.com/ncr and see if that fixes it.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
The localisation of search results that google presents to you is based on where Google thinks you are located, and that depends on your IP address, which will depend on who provides your internet connection. While changing the localisation settings on the iPad will affect things like the keyboard layout, the date, time and currency formats and the system language, it will not make Google think you are somewhere you are not. There are other ways of making Google think you are somewhere you are not, but this is not something a simple system setting on an iPad can achieve.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Ncr is no country redirect

I tested this with mine and it stayed on google.com

Which country are you in?

hermitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
US...

Here is how you will see what happens.

Go to setting->international->region format. Pick Chinese->China

Then open the Safari app. In the upper right search field, search something. You will see that Safari take you to google.cn, which does not exist, thus the page asks you to redirect to google.com.hk.

You can try use different region format, the search field will use the local google.xxx respectively.

Ncr is no country redirect

I tested this with mine and it stayed on google.com

Which country are you in?

----------

Unfortunately, apple choose to use "CH" in the serial number of i device sold in China......

EX: MD329CH is ipad 3

Yes, good question. It's very strange that a Swiss iPad (CH) would redirect you to Chinese Google (CN).

----------

I think region format will also change which URL the Safari search field use

The localisation of search results that google presents to you is based on where Google thinks you are located, and that depends on your IP address, which will depend on who provides your internet connection. While changing the localisation settings on the iPad will affect things like the keyboard layout, the date, time and currency formats and the system language, it will not make Google think you are somewhere you are not. There are other ways of making Google think you are somewhere you are not, but this is not something a simple system setting on an iPad can achieve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.