Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I've been using Chrome on my mini and I like it, but it seems to crash too often. I actually prefer it over Safari and I'm hoping the crashing gets addressed in an update.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Safari suits me just fine. You might get better responses OP if you tell us why it is you don't like Safari and what it doesn't do that you need it to.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Safari works great. The only thing that I really hate on iPad's browsers it's the lack of text reflow. And yes, I've tryed Atomic, Mercury etc.

If you also use an Android device you should know what I'm talking about, pinch to zoom as much as you need, double tap and it's done. In iOS, "Reader", Aa, etc are not the same and can't be used in everywhere and with Atomic/Mercury sometimes the text overlaps, not the best to see.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I've been using Chrome on my mini and I like it, but it seems to crash too often. I actually prefer it over Safari and I'm hoping the crashing gets addressed in an update.

Remove it and install a fresh copy. I've been using it on the six iPads in our family. It never crashes. Fast, fun & stable it's great.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I use Safari most of the time. But there are a couple things I wish Safari allowed me to do. Like having the option to go to the desktop site instead of the Mobile version.

When I need the full site I go to my Chrome app and it works great. I actually use that feature often.

I also wish Safari had a single search bar like its desktop big brother. But that's just personal taste. No big deal.

I actually like the look of Safari better. I tend to not like the black blank space to the right of the tabs on Chrome. But agains that's just personal taste. No big deal.

Last edited:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
There are lots of pluses and minuses to the iPad browsers.

My favorite browser is Dolphin, though I'm not using it right now because the latest update has a bug which causes it to crash on one of my more visited sites (The Verge). However, I love the ease of which you access bookmarks, the minimal browsing bar, the unified URL and search bar, the quickness of changing settings, etc. It's the most intuitive to use and the fastest to access quick sites.

Right now I'm using Safari until Dolphin updates and fixes that little bug, because it's got quick access to bookmarks via the bookmark bar, plus good tab management (though I hate Safari's multi-page look on the phone, so it's my least favorite phone browser, but it's good on the iPad.) Down sides to Safari are the fact that it often reloads tabs spontaneously, which will often wipe out things I've typed in one tab, and the fact it doesn't have a unified search bar.

Chrome is good, minimal, fast and has good tabs and a unified search bar. However, I just can't use it as my daily driver because I HATE how bookmarks are managed. It is a minimum of two taps to access my bookmarks, plus a third tap to go to it. I quickly get frustrated since I'm used to just swiping from the left to access all my bookmarks in Dolphin.

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
On my old iPod Touch, I use Safari, as Chrome takes ages to load.

On my new iPhone 5 - Chrome performs wonderfully and is hence my browser of choice. - Tabs, synced bookmarks and currently open pages (between PC and iPhone) is a good feature in Chrome.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Why do you guys prefer Chrome?

I like the idea of Chrome in theory, but no bookmark bar (iPad) and just the icon view of bookmarks (why no list view?) I find really annoying. It's notably slower than Safari too, as all browsers are. Plus, it still disappears the keyboard if you ever try to open it before a page is fully loaded.

I've tried lots of browsers but I always come back to Safari, imperfect though it is. It's not ideal, more that it annoys me the least, with the added bonus that it's the fastest. Also, the lack of default on other browsers (Apple's fault, not third party's obviously) is supremely irritating.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
i use chrome

not because the ipad version is better than safari, but because it syncs bookmarks and such, with my pc's chrome.
and the safari windows version is horrible compared to chrome on pc :)

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I use nothing but chrome on all of my devices. Macbook, iPhone (Jailbroken to make the browser default, and gave it access to JavaScript), iPad Mini, and my Dell Studio Laptop. I like how all the bookmarks go instantly to each without hassle. I could never get this to work in safari, let alone get them to go to my Dell.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If you want to reduce your data usage, get Opera. The browser uses Opera proxy servers which reduce content to make it load faster, use less data, both of which can be important on a mobile device.

My favorite though is Mercury, which has all the features I like and an interface that makes good sense to me.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Why do you guys prefer Chrome?

I use Chrome on my desktop and laptop as well as the iPad. All of my bookmarks, history and most importantly...logins automatically sync between the devices. The worst thing about browsing on the iPad is hitting a login page and not remembering what it is.

Also, Chrome allows you to open up tabs you may have open on your other devices. So if I'm on a forum or site at my desk, and I leave to go to a meeting, I can pull that up on my iPad later. It is very convenient.

Safari has been able to handle some sites that Chrome doesn't, but it is not very common.

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
I use Chrome on my desktop and laptop as well as the iPad. All of my bookmarks, history and most importantly...logins automatically sync between the devices. The worst thing about browsing on the iPad is hitting a login page and not remembering what it is.

Also, Chrome allows you to open up tabs you may have open on your other devices. So if I'm on a forum or site at my desk, and I leave to go to a meeting, I can pull that up on my iPad later. It is very convenient.

Safari has been able to handle some sites that Chrome doesn't, but it is not very common.

I use Safari for similar reasons. I love how all the bookmarks on my iPad, iPhone and Mac are synced together using iCloud. I also have Chrome installed on my iPad, but I think Safari just looks and feels smoother.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Safari do all these things already?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.