Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xman91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
I am wondering what others think.. I like the idea of having internet capabilities on the go however am tossing up between getting the new touch and just tethering it to my nokia phone or buying the ipad mini with the 3G enabled. I could also purcahse a wifi only ipad mini over the touch if I go down the tehering path but what does anyone else think?

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Depends on what you are wanting it for.

Obviously the Touch will be more portable, not that the Mini is too far off.

I have really enjoyed having LTE on my 3rd gen iPad. I use it at least twice as much as my previous Wifi only iPad.

I did have MyWi for a period of time on my jailbroken iPhone 4, it made the wifi only iPad more usable, but I got tired of having to turn on both devices (I know, third world problem :)). However, the bigger issue was how quickly tethering drained my phone's battery.

This is just my opinion, let us know what you decide.

tvhaugen

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
When faced with the same decision last week I went with the iPad mini. I really liked the portability of my older iPod touch, but found the screen too small at times for surfing the web and reading books on my Kindle app. For an extra $30 I could not say no to the bigger screen on the iPad mini. For me it was worth sacrificing the portability for more usability.

The iPod touch 5G is really nice. In the end I don't think you could go too wrong either way. Ultimately, it is a question only you can answer based on your usage.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
IMO, Ipad mini seems like a better bet for the bucks. Touch 5 is too expensive, they should have made 16G with cheaper starting price. Mini is only a little more expensive but twice the screen size. It is equally portable if you have a good protective but slim case on. Its very light too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.