Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
And by that I mean it bends. I slammed my car door shut and caught my Mini in it. It was inside a Saddlebrook gadget leather sleeve, so it didn't get a scratch. But the Mini was curved (like a parenthesis). Glass did not shatter, not did the case crack.

Smelling a trip to the Genius Bar, I opted to put it back in the leather sleeve and force it straight with my hands. I'm happy to report the curve is gone, the Mini is fully functional, and not a scratch or crack in sight. It was amazing.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
really? That's pretty crazy if its true.... There is no sign of the bend on it at all?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Well it is made of aluminum and gorilla glass. Aluminum bends and after a certain point it will crack. Gorilla glass bends and doesn't crack.

----------

really? That's pretty crazy if its true.... There is no sign of the bend on it at all?

There WAS a bend. But he bent it back into the original flat non-bent shape.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Well it is made of aluminum and gorilla glass. Aluminum bends and after a certain point it will crack. Gorilla glass bends and doesn't crack.

----------

I get that, but when you bend aluminum and then flatten it back theres usually what looks like stretch marks on the aluminum.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'll have to take your word for it, because I'm not willing to try that with my own :eek:

Smart move. :D. The bend wasn't severe. It was a little like a parenthesis ) although not as pronounced. When I straightened it out there was a corner still bent, and I twisted that back. Looks pretty straight to me now.

Do not try this at home folks (unless you have AppleCare +).... ;)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
And by that I mean it bends. I slammed my car door shut and caught my Mini in it. It was inside a Saddlebrook gadget leather sleeve, so it didn't get a scratch. But the Mini was curved (like a parenthesis). Glass did not shatter, not did the case crack.

Smelling a trip to the Genius Bar, I opted to put it back in the leather sleeve and force it straight with my hands. I'm happy to report the curve is gone, the Mini is fully functional, and not a scratch or crack in sight. It was amazing.

Maybe the military should take a peek at that gadget.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012

----------

STOP SAYING GORILLA GLASS! The iPhone 5 and the iPad mini do not have official gorilla glass. Apple uses something like gorilla glass, but that is not gorilla glass. I am so tired of people saying this. You all just wish it was gorilla glass.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
STOP SAYING GORILLA GLASS! The iPhone 5 and the iPad mini do not have official gorilla glass. Apple uses something like gorilla glass, but that is not gorilla glass. I am so tired of people saying this. You all just wish it was gorilla glass.

Gorilla glass. I said it :)

Seriously, though, why does it bother you so much. If it looks like duck, bends like a duck, quacks like a duck, then...

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Gorilla glass. I said it :)

Seriously, though, why does it bother you so much. If it looks like duck, bends like a duck, quacks like a duck, then...

I really don't know why it bothers me. I guess cause people think that is what they have when in fact they do not. I do believe apple glass is not as strong. I just like people to have their facts right.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I get that, but when you bend aluminum and then flatten it back theres usually what looks like stretch marks on the aluminum.

Yup, technically it should leave a stretch marks but i guess we have to really see the pic to find out.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

http://m.9to5mac.com/9to5mac/#!/entry/50b81198d7fc7b5670801c59

"...Apple released its US Jobs report which included the following info:

Corning employees in Kentucky and New York who create the majority of the glass for iPhone,.."

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Did you read the part where it said "your favorite device may include Gorrilla Glass, even if you don't see it listed here"??

Doesn't prove it one way or the other.

If you look at any articles you will see that the iPad mini uses the same glass as the iPhone 5 and if you read anything about the iPhone 5 it does not have gorilla glass. Also look at what happens you drop the iPad mini and iPhone 5 and say something like Motorola razor maxx or the Samsung galaxy s 3. The apple products just don't stand up. Why would apple leave their name off?

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
If you look at any articles you will see that the iPad mini uses the same glass as the iPhone 5 and if you read anything about the iPhone 5 it does not have gorilla glass. Also look at what happens you drop the iPad mini and iPhone 5 and say something like Motorola razor maxx or the Samsung galaxy s 3. The apple products just don't stand up. Why would apple leave their name off?

Hmmmmm...... All of the drop tests I've seen show that the iPhone 5 is far more durable and resistant to screen cracks or breaks than the S3. I've read plenty of articles on the iPhone 5 and nothing has been said or proven that it doesn't have gorilla glass. I ask again. Post the articles that prove that either the iPhone 5 or iPad mini doesn't use Gorilla Glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.