Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

softwareupdate.jpg
Apple today seeded build 12D58 of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 to developers, marking the seventh beta iteration of the newest version of Mountain Lion. 10.8.3 was first seeded to developers in November.

Build 12D58 comes a week after build 12D54, and like the previous build, contains no known issues or features. Build 12D54 brought significant changes to WiFi, and asked developers to focus on testing AirPlay, AirPort, Game Center, Graphics Drivers, and Safari.

9to5Mac notes that the new build again contains significant changes to WiFi, but additional changes are unknown. Registered developers can download the update on Apple's Developer Page.

This post originally referred to Build 12D58 as the eighth developer seed of OS X 10.8.3 when it was actually the seventh seed.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Build 12D58 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Well that answers my previous thought of it being released today along side iOS 6.1. iOS 6.1 needs to come out soon because beta 4 expires Tuesday.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't get all these beta's? Are Apple actually listening and at least TRYING to fix the damn slow shutdown bug and options having to be launched twice from settings such as desktop background?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I don't get all these beta's? Are Apple actually listening and at least TRYING to fix the damn slow shutdown bug and options having to be launched twice from settings such as desktop background?

The slow shutdown is not really a "bug". It's an inconvenience for some people who have it. Apple has a lot more serious issues to fix during these beta tests. Something like a slow shutdown would be on the bottom of their list.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
The installer includes a feature list:

The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
• The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
• Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
• Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
• A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
• A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
• Includes Safari 6.0.3

Last edited:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
The slow shutdown is not really a "bug". It's an inconvenience for some people who have it. Apple has a lot more serious issues to fix during these beta tests. Something like a slow shutdown would be on the bottom of their list.

Agreed, but a a simple and easy to fix bug like this not being fixed for a quarter of a year is starting to produce a painful impression.

Mac sales going down should be a warning - do your homework Apple!

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
This probably IS going to be the public release.

The installer includes a feature list:

The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
• The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
• Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
• Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
• A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
• A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
• Includes Safari 6.0.3

Awesome. Good to know. Should be out on early next week then.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Agreed, but a a simple and easy to fix bug like this not being fixed for a quarter of a year is starting to produce a painful impression.

Mac sales going down is due to a general decline in PC sales. Thanks to the post-PC era. Not because of some random, minor, bug in an OS.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Will this fix the graphic glitches in Safari? Causing CSS transitions etc to stutter? I hope so as its god damn frustrating!!

insovietrussia

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
Anybody knows whether Apple felt like addressing the rMBP lag-issue this time?!

Don't forget: In soviet Russia lag fixes you!

LlamaLarry

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
I am always a surprised to see people complaining about slow shutdown (and I assume reboots). I guess I just don't shutdown/reboot as often as some folks; must be a Windows convert thing as I am pretty sure older Mac (and other *nix) don't shutdown OR reboot just for fun or often enough to care how long it takes.

It wasn't that long ago that I remember people complaining that rebooting to upgrade Safari or other system updates was literally like the end of the world because some folks had so much stuff open for their workflows they could not handle having to launch them all manually... Now OSX offers you the choice to have it do that for you as well.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Why do you assume it's an easy fix? Maybe it isn't.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I am always a surprised to see people complaining about slow shutdown (and I assume reboots). I guess I just don't shutdown/reboot as often as some folks; must be a Windows convert thing as I am pretty sure older Mac (and other *nix) don't shutdown OR reboot just for fun or often enough to care how long it takes.

It wasn't that long ago that I remember people complaining that rebooting to upgrade Safari or other system updates was literally like the end of the world because some folks had so much stuff open for their workflows they could not handle having to launch them all manually... Now OSX offers you the choice to have it do that for you as well.

I close my macbook lid when I go out, go to sleep.....It worked fine before 10.8.2, so they broke something!

JPOWA

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Is the new 6.0.3 safari as fluid as the nightly builds of webkit on facebook using rMBP?

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
The slow shudown/reboot thing is only painfully noticeable on SSD and Retina machines, as well as (I'd imagine) the Air.

LlamaLarry

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
I close my macbook lid when I go out, go to sleep.....It worked fine before 10.8.2, so they broke something!
I guess I am missing something, closing your MB lid is not shutting down (or rebooting). What exactly is happening now when you close your MB that did not happen before? :confused:

----------

The slow shudown/reboot thing is only painfully noticeable on SSD and Retina machines, as well as (I'd imagine) the Air.
I do have MBAs but no rMBP or SSD MBPs. How long is it taking to shut down now vs before?

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008

10.8.2 was a horrific update for rMBP. But in general for all other macs too.
Since install sandboxd console message has gone totally ballistic and that is where the problem is. Sandboxing. I personally think apple should have waited at least until 10.10 to release that feature. It is so far from mature that one cant even call it a baby. Fetus is about as mature as sandboxing is.

All major pro audio/video apps like AVID Protools and Apples own FCPx began to seriously degrade post 10.8.2 and they know it because reports have been pouring in.

Aside from this issue there are the general Network issues and WIFI killed when using bluetooth on rMBPs. Both making Apple appear as had they lost control of their own os.

I guess this is why it takes Apple so many betas this time. Getting it right.
I think that is good. But I am a H````of lot more reluctant to installing Apple updates than I was a few years back when I did it blindly. Since Greg F. took over OS X it has become something that could set off another Chernobyl if used in the wrong context.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.