Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Note: I am fairly new to server administration. It is entirely possible I'm missing something obvious here.

I have an OSX server machine configured for VPN access, and everything was working perfectly until the Public IP address changed. Now when I attempt to connect client machines to the network using the VPN Host Name, it doesn't work. I can, however, input the new Public IP address into the Host Name field on the client computer, and it connects fine.

I've tried creating and distributing new Configuration Profiles on the server, but they don't seem to make any difference.

I suppose what I'm asking is how to I get the VPN clients to look for the new Public IP address? I'd like to continue using my VPN Host Name and not have to manually input the IP address into each client.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Note: I am fairly new to server administration. It is entirely possible I'm missing something obvious here.

I have an OSX server machine configured for VPN access, and everything was working perfectly until the Public IP address changed. Now when I attempt to connect client machines to the network using the VPN Host Name, it doesn't work. I can, however, input the new Public IP address into the Host Name field on the client computer, and it connects fine.

I've tried creating and distributing new Configuration Profiles on the server, but they don't seem to make any difference.

I suppose what I'm asking is how to I get the VPN clients to look for the new Public IP address? I'd like to continue using my VPN Host Name and not have to manually input the IP address into each client.

I take it your internet connection is on a dynamic ip and not static. Do you use a service such as dyndns that will automatically update if your dynamic public ip changes? If not that might be something to look into. That way you wouldn't have to change the host name as it would be something like: mydomain.dyndns.org.

malofx

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2012
Los Angeles
What you need is dyndns.org this will change your IP address when ever it changes. I had that setup and it worked great.

mabaty

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
Boise, ID
Agree DynDNS is your best bet, you'll have to run an app on the machine to check against your public ip, unless your router supports DynDNS natively. OR you can buy a static IP from your ISP.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Agree DynDNS is your best bet, you'll have to run an app on the machine to check against your public ip, unless your router supports DynDNS natively. OR you can buy a static IP from your ISP.

Most modern routers support custom dns and the ability to use services such as dyndns.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Hey everyone, thanks for the help.

So the main problem was that we didn't have a static IP, which is being added as I type. My new question is this- If I use OSX server to create new configuration files, will they reflect the new IP address? The reason I ask is that after our IP address changed for the first time and I tried this, the configuration files I recreated did not allow computers to VPN in.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.