Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
A relative's iPhone 2G has a problem with the screen - the top part of the screen (basically, the top row of icons) does not respond to touch. There's no visible damage to the iPhone, and the screen itself works fine (in terms of displaying). I've already restored it to the factory default, and it didn't help.

Any ideas what might cause this?

Before I take it apart, is it possible that something has come loose inside to cause this? I can't imagine that there are separate ribbons for different sections of the screen, but you never know.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
you have a bad digitizer... it's the layer on top of the LCD screen and yes it has a different cable than the LCD.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Obviously you've never had an iPhone.

Had tons..... Of course you can change the digitizer but why would you do this on a 7 year old phone? For the money you spend on a new dig you're on your way to a "new" phone. Digitizer is what $50+? For $50 more you're picking up a 3gs, for $100 more you're getting a used 4.

Work smarter not harder.

IF you mean an OOW replacement most likely it will be $149 for an i4. I tried to replace my 3gs when I heard they would not be selling them any more and I got the i4 for $149.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Lol @all the misinformation in this thread. The digitizer is below the glass, and is fused to the glass and LCD. It's an expensive part for the 2g.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Had tons..... Of course you can change the digitizer but why would you do this on a 7 year old phone? For the money you spend on a new dig you're on your way to a "new" phone. Digitizer is what $50+? For $50 more you're picking up a 3gs, for $100 more you're getting a used 4.

Work smarter not harder.

IF you mean an OOW replacement most likely it will be $149 for an i4. I tried to replace my 3gs when I heard they would not be selling them any more and I got the i4 for $149.

Like I said, you have never owned an iPhone. And I don't mean as a model, I mean the iPhone. (No the 3GS, not the 3G, not even the newer ones)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Exactly. The original one. One must be able to appreciate that device as it was the first in its class. The one that went on to pave the way for all the devices we have today. Not to mention how advanced (in some ways) it was to its time.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Exactly. The original one. One must be able to appreciate that device as it was the first in its class. The one that went on to pave the way for all the devices we have today. Not to mention how advanced (in some ways) it was to its time.

Yeah... I saved one for that purpose. However it's not a classic car that can still compete with today's new muscle cars. It's an obsolete piece of tech that has seen it's time. Box it, put it on a shelf and move on to another, more useful device. Just my $0.02

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Lol @all the misinformation in this thread. The digitizer is below the glass, and is fused to the glass and LCD. It's an expensive part for the 2g.

so 2G it's all one component? if so, that's what i meant, lcd/digitizer/glass.

i know 3gs digitizer and lcd are separate

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Yeah... I saved one for that purpose. However it's not a classic car that can still compete with today's new muscle cars. It's an obsolete piece of tech that has seen it's time. Box it, put it on a shelf and move on to another, more useful device. Just my $0.02

Have you visited eBay recently and looked for the original iPhone? A pristine example is going for $500 or more. I'd pay for an out of warranty "repair" and get that original iPhone swapped out for a refurb and either keep it or sell it.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
you have a bad digitizer... it's the layer on top of the LCD screen and yes it has a different cable than the LCD.

Thanks. It's only bad in one area, but I guess the digitizer can partially fail.

Oh, and they don't want to upgrade because they only use prepaid, and on tmobile. They're hardly into tech and only have the 2g because I gave it to them. So even getting a newer used out of contract iphone probably doesn't appeal to them.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Have you visited eBay recently and looked for the original iPhone? A pristine example is going for $500 or more. I'd pay for an out of warranty "repair" and get that original iPhone swapped out for a refurb and either keep it or sell it.

If his digi isn't working I doubt it's pristine. Plus I bet it would be hard to find an apple store that has Oi's to swap.

Psycho Mantis

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
California
I had the same problem and Apple replaced it for me. The genius at the time told me that specific part had a separate warranty that was extended, I don't remember how long but this was a little over 2 years ago. Just bring it in and give it a try.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
One point of clarification: the top of the screen responds to slides, but not presses. Weird.

What I mean is that I can slide my finger across the top to flip to the second page of icons, but if I press an icon in the top row, it doesn't respond.

Isn't that weird?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.