Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I have to have Apple send me a replacement iPad because of backlight bleeding. How do I back up all of the data on my iPad now so I can just transfer it over when the new one arrives?

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011
I have to have Apple send me a replacement iPad because of backlight bleeding. How do I back up all of the data on my iPad now so I can just transfer it over when the new one arrives?

Plug in old iPad
Open iTunes
Backup in iTunes
Unplug
Plug in new iPad
Restore from old backup
Re-sync media
Unplug
Done

The media you already have on the computer, so there is no need to 'backup' that as such. The rest of the iPad information, is backed up in iTunes. So you'll need to do a restore, and then re-sync.

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Plug in old iPad
Open iTunes
Backup in iTunes
Unplug
Plug in new iPad
Restore from old backup
Re-sync media
Unplug
Done

The media you already have on the computer, so there is no need to 'backup' that as such. The rest of the iPad information, is backed up in iTunes. So you'll need to do a restore, and then re-sync.
I tried this before. It didn't put my apps back on my ipad.

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011
*shrug*

I went from an iPad 1 to an iPad Retina this way and it was exactly the same.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Back up to iCloud.
Open new iPad, enter iCloud ID and select Restore From iCloud.

Give it time to re-download and install everything. Depending on your Internet speed and other factors, it can take a while.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I tried this before. It didn't put my apps back on my ipad.
Plug in your iPad with iTunes up and running
Go to File>Devices>Transfer Purchases

That should be what you need. From there on out, all your apps on the iPad will get transferred after you sync. Make sure you have Apps checked in iTunes of course for syncing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.