Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fasterthanfiber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Hi Guys,

I purchased a 16gb Black iPhone 5 from "EE" in the UK and had nothing but issues. Opened the first phone and there was a mark on the back below the Apple logo, second box had a mark on the chamfer near the volume buttons and the NEXT ONE had a mark in the gap between the black casing and top silver (looks like glue)

So I took the last one under the assumption it's glue and it's still not come out yet - why is Apple getting so bad at quality? or could it be people like EE recycling phones to other customers "less fussy"? does this even happen?

When you are paying for one of the most (if not, the) expensive phone on the market today - you should not have to expect marks on the phone.

fasterthanfiber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
What gets me annoyed is if Android had half the design quality of iPhones I would buy one but there is nothing that really competes with the design and quality feel of Apple. Which is a shame as every day that passes I become less fond of Apple.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
What week number is your iPhone 5 !

I got mine direct from the meadowhall apple store in Nov 12 and is a week 39 no issues.

I honestly think you've been unlucky.

Apple have been known to swap out marked iPhones at the genius Barr.

Looking at the bigger picture it will accrue wear and tear. Using a bumper case etc is an alternative.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Why was the glue "mark" an issue?

It's just excess glue that you could get rid of with your fingernail.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
What gets me annoyed is if Android had half the design quality of iPhones I would buy one but there is nothing that really competes with the design and quality feel of Apple. Which is a shame as every day that passes I become less fond of Apple.

HTC One X+?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

I think people are just expecting a lot of Apple now since they set the bar so high.

I for one never had an issue with my 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, but with my 5, it has been replaced twice for WiFi and LTE issues, as well as marks all over the phone.

Still even with the issues, the screen is Super Superior to any phones out on the market, and that is why I keep the IP5

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Hi Guys,

I purchased a 16gb Black iPhone 5 from "EE" in the UK and had nothing but issues. Opened the first phone and there was a mark on the back below the Apple logo, second box had a mark on the chamfer near the volume buttons and the NEXT ONE had a mark in the gap between the black casing and top silver (looks like glue)

So I took the last one under the assumption it's glue and it's still not come out yet - why is Apple getting so bad at quality? or could it be people like EE recycling phones to other customers "less fussy"? does this even happen?

When you are paying for one of the most (if not, the) expensive phone on the market today - you should not have to expect marks on the phone.

If you saw them take the shrink wrap off a retail boxed iPhone then its not a refurb or a return. I noticed some blue material in between the glass and the edge on my white iPhone 5 and was able to simply remove it with my fingernail. I think it was excess adhesive of some kind. The strange thing is that it appeared only after about two weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.