Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I know we can't come right out and slate this software, but could a sticky be applied to warn people of the pitfalls? I've just answered yet another issue caused by software that I feel is being sold under false pretences.

Many a thread to back this up.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know we can't come right out and slate this software, but could a sticky be applied to warn people of the pitfalls? I've just answered yet another issue caused by software that I feel is being sold under false pretences.

Many a thread to back this up.
One problem is too many don't read the sticky threads, or even notice that they exist. As people come here from many sources on the web, and as that app's developer is notorious for pervasive and obnoxious advertising, I don't see any way to effectively alert people to avoid it. For now, I'm guessing we're stuck handling problems as they're reported.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
One problem is too many don't read the sticky threads, or even notice that they exist. As people come here from many sources on the web, and as that app's developer is notorious for pervasive and obnoxious advertising, I don't see any way to effectively alert people to avoid it. For now, I'm guessing we're stuck handling problems as they're reported.

Well, you are right of course, but it wouldn't hurt....I don't understand how they sell it...I'd like to put DON'T BUY MACKEEPER on the front page, but feel this may have an adverse effect on my rep.:D

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I would love to see apple block mackeeper with Xprotect. Then we would get to see some idiots bitch about Apple telling them what they can and can't install on their computer, as if MacKeeper was a tremendous loss.

Well, you are right of course, but it wouldn't hurt....I don't understand how they sell it...I'd like to put DON'T BUY MACKEEPER on the front page, but feel this may have an adverse effect on my rep.:D

We could just put it in our signatures with a link to a thread about the evils of MacKeeper and enabling the developers practices.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I don't think so. Microsoft tried something similar with (the essentially useless) windows defender. They weren't sued. Not for that anyway.

It would have to prove that Mackeeper is unfit for purpose....That's hard, but I'd like to see it happen...It causes so much grief here...I have fixed about 8 problems in the last few days...All related to it. GRRR:mad:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
It would have to prove that Mackeeper is unfit for purpose....That's hard, but I'd like to see it happen...It causes so much grief here...I have fixed about 8 problems in the last few days...All related to it. GRRR:mad:

I see your point. The developer could simply say he's incompetent, and all of the glitches were not intentional.

I really want to see Apple tackle this before this snowballs into a Windows nightmare. Think "antivirus 2008."

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I'm confused. Is it really that bad and we all think its bad due to everyone saying its bad but never using it themselves?

I've messed around with it too. The tactics the developer employs to keep it on the user's system are wildly unethical. At best, it does nothing. At worst, if you let it do anything, it can damage the OS. Nothing irreparable of course, but it's clearly a scam.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I wonder what causes big time reviewers to keep endorsing it or stores like best buy to keep selling it. Just seems strange

Money money money money money!

There is a lyric from Chicago that applies beautifully to retail software. "Give them a little razzle dazzle and they'll never catch wise."

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I wonder what causes big time reviewers to keep endorsing it or stores like best buy to keep selling it. Just seems strange
I think their advertising budget may be a factor, possibly paying for endorsements and product placement. Their marketing appears to play on the old Windows mentality that a user needs to "maintain" or "clean up" their computer, much like those late-night infomercials about Computer Doctor Wizard, or whatever they call themselves. They prey on less computer literate users who fall for the claims that using the app will speed up their computer or get rid of "junk", when the truth is, much of what they remove is not junk, some of what they remove actually impedes performance, and the true "junk" that needs to be removed, they miss.

As mentaluproar indicated, at best, it's a useless app. At worst, it can create problems for unsuspecting users. Unfortunately, too many users think that because an app has been created, because it's heavily advertised, and because they read a few endorsements, the app must be good and worthwhile. That's simply not true in this case.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Lets use engine additives as an example. Drive to walmart and head to tire and lube department, or head to autozone or advance auto parts. Look at all those additives! Not one manufacturer has ever printed "oh yeah, toss this in with your oil and you will get 300 mpg." Ask an engineer what he thinks about putting slick50 in an engine and he'll likely bitchslap you. At best these provide very short term advantages (like fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank) and at worst, they can destroy a catalytic convertor (Some honda civics really hate additives) or kill an engine (using a motor oil flush in an old engine that otherwise runs just fine). And yet, these additives fly off the shelves because salesmen throw a pretty display up that is supposed to somehow prove using Lucas is better than just plain oil.

It's about marketing, not actual results. If you can trick the customer, and have enough variables thrown into the actual usage of the product to cover your ass, you win.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Lets use engine additives as an example. Drive to walmart and head to tire and lube department, or head to autozone or advance auto parts. Look at all those additives! Not one manufacturer has ever printed "oh yeah, toss this in with your oil and you will get 300 mpg." Ask an engineer what he thinks about putting slick50 in an engine and he'll likely bitchslap you. At best these provide very short term advantages (like fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank) and at worst, they can destroy a catalytic convertor (Some honda civics really hate additives) or kill an engine (using a motor oil flush in an old engine that otherwise runs just fine). And yet, these additives fly off the shelves because salesmen throw a pretty display up that is supposed to somehow prove using Lucas is better than just plain oil.

It's about marketing, not actual results. If you can trick the customer, and have enough variables thrown into the usage of the actual product to cover your ass, you win.

Trouble is, the software market has always been a grey area...We gripe abot bugs all the time...If you bought a new car and the radio woudn't tune in your favourite station, you would return it...Try that with OSX or Windows or Office etc. But back on topic...Mackeeper is I feel is miss -sold

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
With operating systems, you always have alternatives, and you can return your iMac, microsoft surface, or android phone within a certain amount of time if you dislike it. This gives incentive for the customers to keep coming back and for providers of products and services to continue to improve them. However, with just the software, you are right. It is intangible, and therefore easier to con people with. Remember how 1984 was pulled from the kindle even after people already bought it?

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I am confused what is your issue with Mac Keeper ? I have been running it for a couple years now with no issues ?

I know we shouldnt need to protect Macs so much but i download a lot of files so no harm in being careful.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am confused what is your issue with Mac Keeper ? I have been running it for a couple years now with no issues ?
It's great that you haven't had issues with it, although it's not doing anything useful for your Mac. Enough others have that it's prudent to warn users about this app. It has a terrible reputation. If you want to continue using it, at least you're doing so, aware that many have had problems with it.
I know we shouldnt need to protect Macs so much but i download a lot of files so no harm in being careful.
What does downloading a lot of files have to do with using MacKeeper?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011

I will guarantee that you WILL encounter issues....If you download a lot of files and feel the need for some form of safe protection, use Clamxav from the App store, free, safe, and totally unnecessary...But just read the post's...Mackeeper will eat your Mac in time...I'd bet on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.