Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bulgebracket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Hey,

My Macbook recently started going funny, took it to an Apple store and they said that it was the HD, but that I could put in an old Windows 1, format it and install Leopard on it using an old boot disc I have.

I tried this with 2 different old Widnows HDs, the OS installs after I format but when it restarts following the installation, it just stays a blue screen, and from time to time a 'blocked' sign comes up (circle w/ diagonal stripe passing through it).

Any ideas on what the problem is?

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
How old is your Macbook? And are you just trying to reformat the internal drive, or an external drive that you intend to boot from? And, do you have an original OS install disk?

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Make sure the partition is GUID when you format it, if this is set wrong it won't boot.
You can check this even now, if you startup from the Installer disk you choose Disk Utilities, click on the HD and look in the lower part of the window what it is.

bulgebracket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
How old is your Macbook? And are you just trying to reformat the internal drive, or an external drive that you intend to boot from? And, do you have an original OS install disk?

Its a 2007 model, I believe the HDs are newer.
They're old internal drives from Windows laptops that I took out and had been using in an external case until putting them into my macbook.

I'm pretty sure the partition was GUID as I checked how to do it beforehand online, but nevertheless the problem has persisted with 2 different HDs..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.