Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hello all,

Since I often find myself in places where wifi access is challenging, I need to use my cell phone as a backup modem, either connected through Bluetooth or USB. Frequently, I need to share that connection with a friend as well. I know that OS X provides a very reliable way of sharing a connection through the System preferences in a few clicks.

The problem is, this cell phone is quite unstable during use, and even when OS X reports it as connected in a few minutes websites stop loading, and timeout, until I manually disconnect and reconnect. Also, for some reason, OS X doesn't see one modem, but two to four. Hence, using the Preference Panel to do so is somewhat inconvenient.

The application I am looking for would automatically:
  1. Look for the modem "slot" that is actually linked to the modem
  2. Connect to the modem and share connection trough AirPort, Bluetooth and Ethernet (ideally at the same time)
  3. Put a password on the access point
  4. Regularly check if websites are reachable
  5. Cycle connection if websites aren't reachable

I already looked in the App Store and Bodega, but haven't found any. What application would fit the bill?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.