Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Has anyone tried this successfully?

It seems like, on the PC, someone has created a shortcut that added some text to it that changed the parameters under which the game handles the high-rez textures, but I don't see how that would work on the Mac.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Wow! Nearly 700 views but no replies tells me that there's a lot of interest in this issue, but that everyone reading is just as flummoxed as I am.

:(

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
What are the parameters? Can you start the Mac version with the same switches on the command line?

I have no experience with using the terminal app to do so. I suppose I'm willing to be coached through it if you have an idea?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
So, when I do a Spotlight search for rageconfig.cfg on my Mac, it returns nothing. Is that the problem? That the game doesn't create a config.cfg file on its own?

Also, on the steampowered forums about this issue from 2011, they're discussing a base folder, which Mountain Lion must be making hidden. How can I search and access hidden folders, if that's the case?

I found these directions from this page. http://www.mikesel.info/show-hidden-files-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

Does anyone know if this is a safe change to make?

"defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES"

It seems like it's an easy enough change to undo.

"defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO"

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
The config is most likely in the User/Library/AppSupport folder, or inside the app itself (right click the app and choose "show package contents").

As for the PC version, I don't have any issues with texture pop, except the first 5-10 secs after zoning, so I guess it boils down to how powerful your gfx is.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
The config is most likely in the User/Library/AppSupport folder, or inside the app itself (right click the app and choose "show package contents").

As for the PC version, I don't have any issues with texture pop, except the first 5-10 secs after zoning, so I guess it boils down to how powerful your gfx is.

New late 2012 21.5" iMac here. 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB GPU, 8 GB RAM.

Alright, right-clicked the Rage application, showing the contents, and navigated to the Base folder. Inside, the only config file is called "default.cfg".

Alright. I've copied and pasted the changes into a duplicate of the default config.cfg file on my desktop.

This text:

seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"

and when I try to drag and drop into the base folder, it warns me with a pop-up that it is not editable and that I need to authenticate it to continue.

Does anyone know from experience that I won't jack up my game install if I authenticate and continue?

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Alright, so I created a separate rageconfig.cfg file and pasted just those lines I showed you in my last post, dragged it into the Base folder.

I ran the game. It loaded, ran and looked the same as before. I didn't see a difference.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I really don't think u can go without popping on 512mb unless you turn gfx down quite a bit.

In win7 im peaking 980MB at max settings @1680x1050 res

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
I really don't think u can go without popping on 512mb unless you turn gfx down quite a bit.

In win7 im peaking 980MB at max settings @1680x1050 res

Oh, I'm under no illusions that the pop in will go away. I'd be happy lessening it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.