Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Hey guys !
So I was wondering wich pair of headphones is the best for daily using.
My EarPods just broked after 3 months of daily using and my Carrier is offering me a new pair of replacement EarPods or they can sell me the In-Ear at half the price. Are the extra 40$ worth for the In-Ear Headphones ?
I wan't to know which have the best sound quality & durability.
Thank You. (& sorry for my english !)
:)

Last edited:

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Doen't anyone have an opinion on this ?
I have to decide until tomorrow afternoon or else the offer with the half-price In-Ear Headphones will go away and I will get the free replacement EarBuds....

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Get the in ear ones from your carrier and go to apple to get the ear buds replaced for free. Best of both worlds.
Not that simple, here's why :
I'm from Romania and here if you buy an iPhone/iPad from a Carrier they are the ONLY ONE who can fix & replace your phone & accessories.
If you take an iPhone/iPad bought from a Carrier to Apple they will reject it. They will not even take a look at it nor replace your accessories. ( "You bought the iPhone from a Carrier, they should deal with the problem" - This is the logic)
It's kinda weird but it's nice since they give you 2 years warranty, Apple only gives you 1 year.

rshroff2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
Well, here in Romania if you buy an iPhone/iPad from a Carrier they are the only one who can fix & replace your phone & accessories. If you take an iPhone/iPad bought from a Carrier to Apple they will reject it.
It's kinda weird but it's nice since they give you 2 years warranty, Apple only gives you 1 year.

Oh I didn't realize you weren't in the USA. Will the carrier take the earbuds from you when you get the in ears? If not then keep them and just take the earpods that came with your iPhone to the apple store. Tell them they're not working and they replace it. At least that's what they do here.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My EarPods broke three times, each time they were replaced by Apple, but I honestly didn't want to have to deal with it again. So I haven't gone back for another replacement. They probably have better sound than the In-Ear, but at least the In-Ear have removable, and easy to clean, replacement buds. Those are the best you can get in my opinion.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Oh I didn't realize you weren't in the USA. Will the carrier take the earbuds from you when you get the in ears? If not then keep them and just take the earpods that came with your iPhone to the apple store. Tell them they're not working and they replace it. At least that's what they do here.

Yes, the Carrier will take away my broken EarPods.

No, I can't take them to Apple, they will reject me, it's a waste of time.
As I said before, if you bought an iPhone/iPad from a Carrier they will say to take it to the Carrier because they can't do anything. I'm very serious.
They will not look at the device. They will not give you assistance. They will not replace any broken accessories. It's very very weird. But this has a good part, the Carrier gives you a 2 year warranty, Apple only gives you 1 year.

----------

My EarPods broke three times, each time they were replaced by Apple, but I honestly didn't want to have to deal with it again. So I haven't gone back for another replacement. They probably have better sound than the In-Ear, but at least the In-Ear have removable, and easy to clean, replacement buds. Those are the best you can get in my opinion.

I see. Thank you !
Before I make my decision I really need someone to say something about the audio quality of the In-Ear headphones.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I am being very serious. The EarPods are the best earphones for me, in my opinion. I'm not an audiophile but I do want my music to sound good and I love mine. I bought them soon as they came out. Sound is good and the fit reminds me of the Apple philosophy of things not getting in the way and giving way to the experience. Apple In-Ears suck do bad! They shocked my ears so many times and those ear buds fall off so easily. If it fits, go for the $29

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
The EarPods sound better then the in ear. The bass response is much better on the EarPods and the remote is also better.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I have both and it's difficult to compare the two directly because they are different in what they are designed to do. The EarPods are a much need improvement to the EarBuds. They sound tremendously better, fit better in the ear, and are water resistant. The point is that they are great even on their own. The In-Ear are sound isolating meaning that they block outside sounds which makes them sound better than EarPods. The issue is that without outside sounds they are a poor choice for walking, biking, driving, anything where you need noise from the outside world to keep you safe.

So it's a tough call. I choose which ones to use based on what I'm doing. If sound quality is your only concern then go with the In-Ear. To be honest I don't think the sound is $40 better so if it were me I'd go with the EarPods since I can use them anywhere.

Keep in mind this is all subjective. ;)

Reactions: yannisgk

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I've owned the apple in ear headphones as well as a pair of monster turbine pro coppers (costs 400$). I can tell you that for 40$ the in ears are amazing. They sound great and they are extremely comfy, being so small and light. Isolation was good too.

But the earpods are good in their own respect too. I can't compare sounds because I lost all the tips for the apple in ears, but the earpods definitely sound great. They also are very comfy.

The first question is, do you want isolation? if yes then get the in ears, if no then the nextquestion is, did you think the earpods sounded good? Or did you feel the sound was lacking? If they were good then you won't notice too much of a difference between them and the in ears. As I said I also own the turbine pros, but I still use earpods as my daily headphone because I don't use the turbines enough to make me notice what the earpods are lacking in sound. They are definitely not bad headphones in any way.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I wan't to use the headphones when walking and riding my bike.
The In-Ear will be a good choice because they do not fall.
I consider The EarBuds normal quality, nothing special. Keep in mind that I compare the EarBuds with my high-end Sennheiser headphones wich I use only at home.
I have 2 hours to decide ! I really don't know guys..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.