Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is in talks with HBO to bring that company's HBO Go video streaming service to the Apple TV, reports Bloomberg. HBO Go is a streaming service that allows HBO subscribers to watch HBO content on PCs, tablets, consoles, and other platforms.

hbogo2.jpg
Bloomberg:
Apple Inc. is in negotiations to start carrying Time Warner Inc.'s HBO Go application on Apple TV by mid-2013, according to two people familiar with the plans.

Cable and satellite subscribers who pay for HBO will be able to watch more than 600 hours of films and television shows on Apple TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private.
Currently, Netflix and Hulu Plus are the only subscription service that Apple allows on its Apple TV box, while HBO Go is available on the iPhone and the iPad.

There have been numerous rumors in recent years about Apple's plans for the television, but CEO Tim Cook has been cagey about details other than repeatedly saying that television is "an area of intense interest" for the company

Article Link: Apple in Talks to Bring HBO Go to the Apple TV

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
This is a nice step, I like where this is going recently. Come on Apple more content, more global content too!

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
Just watch Comcast not sign on to it. Only thing keeping me from adding a Roku next to my apple tv.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
The only thing that would make this cool was if non-cable users could "order" a subscription a la carte from HBO, like you do with Hulu or Netfilx. If its just HBO Go, who cares?

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
The Big Crack

If they can get HBO out of their being locked tight to the cable providers -- HBO Go only works if you get HBO on cable already -- and get them to offer independent subscription to the Apple TV, that's the first solid blow against cable. They problably want to do it, but they don't dare.

Meanwhile, a Netflix exec said, "We've got to get to being HBO before HBO gets to be Netflix." That's the race.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
This would be exciting, except I already get HBO on my TV...

...by turning on my TV and cable box. :rolleyes:

The beauty of HBO Go is having all the series, all the episodes and movies they have had/are currently playing. I couldn't turn on my tv and go to HBO to watch Entourage if I wanted right at this moment unless it was currently playing.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Adding HBO Go is almost pointless. You can only get HBO Go if you subscribe to a TV package that includes HBO. So, this will in no way help any of us "cut the cord."

And... by the way, the main article states that only Netflix and Hulu are available. This is not true. You can also stream sporting events from several leagues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.