Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
After feeling ill and going to the doctor with flu like symptoms last week, I went back for another visit this past Tuesday (exactly one week later) because I suddenly felt worse after I thought I had improved over the weekend. Felt fine fri/sat/sun, than woke up Monday with a terrible, dry raspy cough, and by the time I got home from work I had a fever of 102. The next day I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with pneumonia, given an antibiotic and told to stay home until the fever went away. Today is the first day of no fever, but I still feel like crap..still have the cough, still feel run down, and can still here a "crackling" or "wheezing" sound in my chest when I exhale, especially while laying down.

Who here has had pneumonia, and what was your recovery period?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I've had it. Once I got on antibiotics I started feeling better after a day or so. Within three or four days I wasn't feeling sick anymore.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sounds like an STD.

I'm kidding. Once I saw a doctor, my pneumonia was a distant memory within a week. I did smoke and my healing time was likely crippled by that.

djjclark

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Recall mine lasted 2 weeks. Every time I laid down it felt like I was drowning, would have a fever and chills constantly. Was given antibiotics but don't recall them being miraculous. Was given codeine cough syrup that tasted so bad the coughing pain was better then the medicine. My son just had it and was in the hospital 4 days with i.v. antibiotics and breathing treatments. By day 3 he was back to normal except his blood oxygen was low hence an extra day.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have had it twice. The first time, I was out of work for 4 days and felt like crap for a couple of weeks. The second time, I was admitted to the hospital for several hours so I could get IV antibiotics, morphine and fluids. My recovery was quicker but I still felt bad for at least a week. My advice would be to take a couple of more days off of work and try and sleep in a recliner rather than your bed. I hope you get well soon.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I caught pneumonia at the tail end of the worst flu bug I ever suffered. It took me months to fully get over despite dutifully taking my antibiotics, and it did do some permanent damage to my lung capacity.

Did you get a chest x-ray?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I've had pneumonia several times, the most recent was end of flu season last year. I had/have bronchitis with this recent flu. Yay. There are 2 kinds of pneumonia, viral & bacterial. Anti-biotics only help with bacterial pneumonia. For me, it always takes a month or so to start feeling human again. The cough lingers. I don't smoke but I may as well have since birth as my parents were really heavy smokers. My mom gets pneumonia at the drop of a hat recently & had to be hospitalized the first time--which finally encouraged my parents to quit smoking, so that's good.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
I caught it (double) more than half a century ago. The cure consisted of whisky and hot water for a couple of weeks. (All power to grannies!).

Oops! Old thread, sorry.

Last edited:

Mrlee123

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2018
Had it most recently two years ago. Once I started the right antibiotic, I was fine in only a few days.

I had Pneumonia at Xmas time! Was having back pain and soar throats for a few months but didnt make anything of it. One weekend i then got swollen glands in my throat, went to see my useless GP who just said it was a small infection on my throat glands and i would be ok in a couple days. He then gave me Naproxen tablets which made me feel 10 times worse! I literally had all the side effects.

After that i had headaches, ridiculous pain in my abdomen and back which made it hard to breathe, loss of appetite, fever and was coughing up blood. I went to see the out of hours GP at hospital who then diagnosed me with Pneumonia on the right lower side. Chest x ray confirmed this, i was put on Amoxicillin antibiotics first but had a reaction to it as my arms and legs were going red. Hey also took my blood to see the infection levls which should be under 5 and mine was 313!! They then couldent get my temperature down so they swithed me to a different antibiotics befinning with D. After 48 hours that seemed to work and half way through Xmas day i got to go home!!

The consultant said within 8 weeks i need to go back for an x ray, saw my GP after been discharged though and he listened to my chest and back and said the pneumonia has gone but i dont know if i trust him!! Im eating well now but at times i get slight pain in my back or abdomen. I dont smoke and the fact that im only 26 helps apparently. Hopefully it wont come back and i will make a full recovery. It was a nightmare experience to go through.

Reactions: jeyf

Suspended
May 28, 2017
I had it 6 years ago, and it lasted 2-3 weeks. It was quite nasty.

I had traveled abroad and back (20k miles roundtrip), so I probably picked up something on an airplane.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That 'crackling' sound is ominous, isn't it?

I believe that I had a bout of it - a nasty cold which got worse and which I ignored for too long - in the summer of 2016. Antibiotics helped clear it up, but it took longer to recover from than I expected.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
mid summer i picked up a lung infection while working on the new house. still Christmas w/ same infection i picked up an additional flue like symptoms on top of everything. Christmas day was rough.

a new neighbor presented me a small gift wrapped box with 12 tablets 2 per day Cefuroxime 250mg. excellent drug.

best wishes everyone
[doublepost=1515256288][/doublepost]
...but at times i get slight pain in my back or abdomen...
possible repetitive muscle injuries heal slow? try some creatine.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I had Pneumonia at Xmas time! Was having back pain and soar throats for a few months but didnt make anything of it. One weekend i then got swollen glands in my throat, went to see my useless GP who just said it was a small infection on my throat glands and i would be ok in a couple days. He then gave me Naproxen tablets which made me feel 10 times worse! I literally had all the side effects.

After that i had headaches, ridiculous pain in my abdomen and back which made it hard to breathe, loss of appetite, fever and was coughing up blood. I went to see the out of hours GP at hospital who then diagnosed me with Pneumonia on the right lower side. Chest x ray confirmed this, i was put on Amoxicillin antibiotics first but had a reaction to it as my arms and legs were going red. Hey also took my blood to see the infection levls which should be under 5 and mine was 313!! They then couldent get my temperature down so they swithed me to a different antibiotics befinning with D. After 48 hours that seemed to work and half way through Xmas day i got to go home!!

The consultant said within 8 weeks i need to go back for an x ray, saw my GP after been discharged though and he listened to my chest and back and said the pneumonia has gone but i dont know if i trust him!! Im eating well now but at times i get slight pain in my back or abdomen. I dont smoke and the fact that im only 26 helps apparently. Hopefully it wont come back and i will make a full recovery. It was a nightmare experience to go through.

Sounds like you need a new GP. But this is why pneumonia is so dangerous and deadly for the elderly.

I'm being treated with two antibiotics for my pneumonia and would not wish it on anyone. It gives me a new appreciation for people with COPD.

Did you also get Tamiflu? I swear, that stuff is like gold.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Interesting topic. I don’t think I’ve ever had pneumonia or strep throat. Just varying degrees of common colds/flu.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Did you also get Tamiflu? I swear, that stuff is like gold.
I came down with the flu the Thursday before Christmas. I told my GP that I might as well get an antibiotic when he prescribed Tamiflu. He refused. I called him back a few days later and told him I'd take the antibiotic now. Flu lead to bronchitis. Bronchitis is a short trip to pneumonia for me.

This was my second run on Tamiflu over the last couple years. The first was marvelous. This round, I think I started late. Didn't slow the flu down, but it did keep everyone else from getting sic.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I came down with the flu the Thursday before Christmas. I told my GP that I might as well get an antibiotic when he prescribed Tamiflu. He refused. I called him back a few days later and told him I'd take the antibiotic now. Flu lead to bronchitis. Bronchitis is a short trip to pneumonia for me.

This was my second run on Tamiflu over the last couple years. The first was marvelous. This round, I think I started late. Didn't slow the flu down, but it did keep everyone else from getting sic.

They always say that Tamiflu is something that has to be started early. Glad you got better.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
appears pneumonia can be viral or bacterial or both.

a little self diagnostic effort goes a long way. You are allowed to google it, even in trump america.

A neighbor came by Christmas day gifted me a bottle of (12) tablets cefuroxime and in a couple of days felt much better. Strangest best gift i ever got.

I might see if she has the tamiflu / oseltamivir?

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017
I’ve never so much as had the flu let alone pneumonia! I barely get colds either. But I do get the most dreadful sore throats. It’s like my body catches any virus there and doesn’t let it spread but my word it’s bad. As in I can’t sleep because it’s constantly scratchy and tickling and no numbing things and no amount of painkiller.... prescribed or otherwise.... helps. Codeine is OTC where I live in small quantities but my brother taught me a technique he uses for when this same ailment strikes him. Quick swig of that and I might be lucky to get a couple of hours sleep.

I’m not kidding at how bad it gets! The worst it ever got was not sleeping for a whole week. I hallucinated before going to A&E where they proceeded to feed me all kinds of meds that I can’t even remember the names of as I was so tired!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.