Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I'm looking for a 'decent' and 'affordable' display, to hook up to my NVidia GTX 670 whilst editing in both FCPX and Premiere CS6.

I currently use a 23" Cinema Display.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from around $150 to $350, or up to £500

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I bought a 24" Dell a few years ago that I still like (lots of video inputs, USB slots, card reader, etc.,). It'll just be another display for the GUI so you don't have to go crazy on it.

Lethal

FroColin

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I actually use a BlackMagic UltraStudio mini thing and my TV (I have a really nice panasonic plasma, the VT50 actually) but if you have a TV and you can work with it in terms of location, then it can be great to monitor on. It's important to see your stuff on a big screen I think

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I bought a 24" Dell a few years ago that I still like (lots of video inputs, USB slots, card reader, etc.,). It'll just be another display for the GUI so you don't have to go crazy on it.

Lethal

Thanks! Is it good enough (or overkill) for 1080p monitoring as secondary?

----------

I actually use a BlackMagic UltraStudio mini thing and my TV (I have a really nice panasonic plasma, the VT50 actually) but if you have a TV and you can work with it in terms of location, then it can be great to monitor on. It's important to see your stuff on a big screen I think

I've just taken a look at this, seems like a great solution.

Which model did you get exactly?

Thanks for your input!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks! Is it good enough (or overkill) for 1080p monitoring as secondary?

I like it a lot and when my 23" Apple monitor dies I doubt I'll go with Apple again (lack of features kills me). I only use my computer monitors as computer monitors though because, for a number of reasons, they don't accurately reproduce a video image for me to trust them as 'critical viewing' monitors.

If I wanted to go that route on a budget I would do something along the lines of what FroColin is doing.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I like it a lot and when my 23" Apple monitor dies I doubt I'll go with Apple again (lack of features kills me). I only use my computer monitors as computer monitors though because, for a number of reasons, they don't accurately reproduce a video image for me to trust them as 'critical viewing' monitors.

If I wanted to go that route on a budget I would do something along the lines of what FroColin is doing.

Thanks Lethal, great advice. I've always had a lot of respect for your experience in this field, so I appreciate your input.

----------

Could I ask you for the exact model of BM US you use? There doesn't seem to be a 'mini' version, only express...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.