Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I mean the lack of a consistent usability/reliability with android has me worried. I also don't like the fact the apps don't seem as refined alot of the time. I'm not against switching from iOS but it would take alot. Anyone else feel that way?

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I thought about that before I switched but decided to do it anyway, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Unless you have a specific requirement for a very niche app, chances are android will have the same app, or at least one that does the same thing.

That assumes you are talking about android, obviously WP8/BB10 has some catching up to do.
Also consider that most new apps nowadays are developed for both platforms, not necessarily just one.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
When I began using the Google Play marketplace, one of the most biggest things I noticed was the revenue model: Android has a large percentage of apps that are free and as supported, while iOS has a large percentage than cost a few bucks but are ad free.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Google app store has many free apps that work for 2 weeks and then require you to pay to keep using. Not a bad model.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
For me, this is the single biggest reason outside of the dollars I've already sunk into the aforementioned apps that causes me to stay with the iPhone. The hardware, smooth software and second-to-none kinetic scrolling keep me on the iPhone as well, but at the end of the day its the apps that keep me around for good. I feel what you are saying and completely agree.

Itxdjx

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
R.I.
I switch every couple months and I have no problems, imo i use alot more usefl apps on android have of the allure on ios is games 75% of my purchased apps are games and I have spent alot on ios apps. On android I have barely spent 10% that i have on apple over the last serveral years. But i really dont think its a problem like someone said youll be suprised at what you will find. I went back to the iphone this month and there where a couple great apps that i just cant get on ios that i really miss from android. An vice versa, i really dont think one is head over heals over the other.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I have an HTC EVO (the original), but I'm familiar with the iOS world because I also have a first-gen iPad. The iPhone's size is a major reason why I haven't defected, but I also would miss Android's back button. It's so convenient to be able to go to a Web page or whatever and then just hit the back button to go back to the app or wherever I came from.

App selection is less of a hurdle for me because both platforms have 99 percent of the ones that I use.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I mean the lack of a consistent usability/reliability with android has me worried. I also don't like the fact the apps don't seem as refined alot of the time. I'm not against switching from iOS but it would take alot. Anyone else feel that way?
iOS consistent? Even the base OS isn't consistent.

Sometimes the back button is at the top, sometimes its at the bottom.
Sometimes you have a usable interface, sometimes we have skewmorphism kiddie mode apps.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
The only thing keeping me from jumping ship is how everything works together (my iPhone, iPods, iPads, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, Apple TV...). That and the look/feel of the hardware. I would love a larger iPhone, but can't stand the cheap plastic feel of the majority of Android phones.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
For me, this is the single biggest reason outside of the dollars I've already sunk into the aforementioned apps that causes me to stay with the iPhone. The hardware, smooth software and second-to-none kinetic scrolling keep me on the iPhone as well, but at the end of the day its the apps that keep me around for good. I feel what you are saying and completely agree.

you are misinformed. Scrolling on android is done better than on ios. It is buttery smooth and effort based unlike on ios. You are right about the hardware though. Although the iphone could benefit from a bigger (4.7-5") display.

But this is exactly the reason why I don't invest in app ecosystems. Its just a waste of money, the best apps are free anyway and it really eliminates options for you.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The quality of apps on Android phones has improved a lot in recent years and they're now just as good as iOS ones. The only issue is the lack of tablet apps but even that gap is getting closed now the smaller Android tablets are getting more and more popular.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have all the major apps on my SGS3/Nexus 4 that I had on my iPhones, they are easily as polished. I also have some that I wish were in the Apple App store that I would like to put on my iPad mini.

I also like the fact that for up to 15 minutes one can try the app and if not suitable, get a refund. I have used this feature on numerous occasions in the play store, the app store would be enhanced if it also did this.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I have all the major apps on my SGS3/Nexus 4 that I had on my iPhones, they are easily as polished. I also have some that I wish were in the Apple App store that I would like to put on my iPad mini.

I also like the fact that for up to 15 minutes one can try the app and if not suitable, get a refund. I have used this feature on numerous occasions in the play store, the app store would be enhanced if it also did this.

LOVE the ability to refund. It used to be 24 hours. Shame they changed it to 15 minutes.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I use both an iPhone 5 and an Android HTC One X that runs ICS daily.

While it is true in general that Android apps are less refined, that is only part of the difference between the two OS's. There are many subtle and not so subtle differences between how you interact with the device from settings, to app switching.

Some things Android is better at, though consistently iOS is more polished. Android has made leaps and bounds since i started using it under Gingerbread though.

Its funny but some of Google's apps for instance, are better under iOS than they are under Android.

Part of Apple's appeal to is the hardware from performance to camera everything seems more finally tuned, then the HTC, Samsung and Motorola phones that i have had.

YMMV -I truly switch back and fourth between these phones all day long. My investment in the Apple System is high, higher than with Google but i truly love both approaches.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
you are misinformed. Scrolling on android is done better than on ios. It is buttery smooth and effort based unlike on ios.

What a load of BS. Don't listen to this poster. Once you download apps you'll see android is laggy. If you stay in Goolge user interface yes it smooth (jelly bean) but not all the time. Once you download apps like Netflix and scroll through the movies OMG the lag. Jelly bean fixed Google's UI from being so horrible laggy but u can still experience lag in the UI, so ppl need to stop trying to say android is smooth. People have been trying to say it's smooth way before Jelly Bean came out so that tells you something about Android only users. I use both android and ios. I have all these devices in my house SG3, Transformer Prime, ipad 2, iphone 4,and iphone 5. People like him are the reason why ppl make post that they returned their android.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
The availability of apps on google is excellent. When you are talking about useful apps, it's almost a mirror of iOS. The cons are, yes, they are not quite as polished some times but they work just the same. Also depending on your device the app may or may not work as intended. Google Play's store is getting better all the time, but there are still some issues where an app may not work at all on your device and you don't really know without trying. And the reviews can sometimes just be a melting pot of people reviewing the phone for dozens of different devices.

iOS apps and the actual app store are a little more refined, but I have been able to find everything I need and more on Google Play. Plus ditching my iPhone didn't mean I was without my iOS apps, that's what the iPad is for. They say the iPad was in development long before the iPhone and I think that iOS was really intended to be a tablet OS. I enjoy the iPad so much more than my old iPhones.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

I find 15 minutes is not enough to really decide if you want it. It's only enough time to realise you bought something totally different than what you wanted. If it is something that you might want, it can take 15 minutes to play around with the app to see if you can configure it to how you like.

So far, I have not had to get a refund for anything I bought of Google Play. Everything I bought I ended up using it for a little while at least and often enough to feel I got my money's worth.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada

No I just don't like that android is unstable and it doesnt work so seamlessly with other Apple products

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
What a load of BS. Don't listen to this poster. Once you download apps you'll see android is laggy. If you stay in Goolge user interface yes it smooth (jelly bean) but not all the time. Once you download apps like Netflix and scroll through the movies OMG the lag. Jelly bean fixed Google's UI from being so horrible laggy but u can still experience lag in the UI, so ppl need to stop trying to say android is smooth. People have been trying to say it's smooth way before Jelly Bean came out so that tells you something about Android only users. I use both android and ios. I have all these devices in my house SG3, Transformer Prime, ipad 2, iphone 4,and iphone 5. People like him are the reason why ppl make post that they returned their android.
You are misinformed and you are just making stuff up. Have a look at this video if you don't believe me. Furthermore I said scrolling on android is a better experience and is buttery smooth. I didn't say it was more or less smooth than on ios, I said it was a better experience. But you might want to tone down your post a little bit and don't say you own tons of stuff cause you don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dn-8aR_Ht4

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
You are misinformed and you are just making stuff up. Have a look at this video if you don't believe me. Furthermore I said scrolling on android is a better experience and is buttery smooth. I didn't say it was more or less smooth than on ios, I said it was a better experience. But you might want to tone down your post a little bit and don't say you own tons of stuff cause you don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dn-8aR_Ht4

the **** you are talking about it retarded and been like that since almost day 1 android came out. You are talking about the speed of how fast it is to get to the top and bottom. I'm talking about scrolling while reading or looking for movies in say Netflix. Don't say what I'm saying is misinformed when everything I have said has been mentioned on XDA developers fool. lolz at you telling me I don't own the stuff I posted. Look at my past post history and you'll see what I own since I mentioned way before this post. Oh let me not for I own an Apple TV 3...let me guess you're going to say I don't own that either?

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

It's a very different world than the IOS I know, but I decided to find out just what it was like, so I bought a Nexus N7...It's odd the way you need an app just to make actual hardware work...The camera for instance. In order to view images in email, you need another app. Now these are free, and I'm not knocking Android at all, I was curious. The N7 is pretty well made, and although it's just a 7" screen, the zoom functions are fine.

I transfered a couple of albums from my itunes library using another app ( Isyncer) and am playing with the little tablet quite a lot. I don't like the jerky scrolling in web pages, but with Chrome it's pretty darned fast. I have the 32GB wifi model, and am still learning about Android..I would have to agree about the apps here, and the little tablet couldn't replace my iPad 4, but I think that for the money, it's a nice little device...Google have things pretty well organised too, for me it's a learning curve...I've always taken the " Don't knock it until you try it" attitude, and whilst it doesn't really fit into my all Apple eco-system, I'm having fun with it.

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
I honestly dont care about apps, as long as I have an SNES emulator for games and some basic productivity tools I am all set. All the major OSes have this so its not that big a deal to switch around. From reading around here it sometimes feels like everyone is using like 200 apps and its impossible to leave Apple, which is something I highly doubt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.