Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Ok debating on selling my bto 27 inch iMac. It has a 3.4 i7 1 terabyte hdd and the 1 gig video card. I have been seeing them go for around $1700 and debating on selling to go to either a new 2012 iMac or MacBook Pro. Mostly want it for the USB 3.0 and fusion drive think I should hold off and enjoy this machine or is it time to sell. I mostly use it for hd video editing so that's why I want USB 3.0. Since thunderbolt is over priced. It has 2.5 years of AppleCare left.

Last edited:

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Ok debating on selling my bto 27 inch iMac. It has a 3.4 i7 1 terabyte hdd and the 1 gig video card. I have been seeing them go for around $1700 and debating on selling to go to either a new 2012 iMac or MacBook Pro. Mostly want it for the USB 3.0 and fusion drive think I should hold off and enjoy this machine or is it time to sell. I mostly use it for hd video editing so that's why I want USB 3.0. Since thunderbolt is over priced. It has 2.5 years of AppleCare left.

well you have it now. You may not get what you want out of it. But it all depends on how badly you want the newer iMac with the 3.0 USB's and Fusion drive. So its up to you.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma

Thunderbolt might be overpriced but wouldn't you save money by just buying one or two of those drives instead of getting a whole new computer just for USB 3.0 and a fusion drive? Even if you got $1700, it still seems like you'd lose money on the deal if you bought a similarly featured 2012 iMac.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
That's true I have debated that fusion just sounds easier to deal with. Maybe hold off and hope ssd price drops along with thunderbolt cables

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
-yours is easy to upgrade compared to new ones...put in a ssd and use your hd as external storage
-yours has a dvd player (still handy for certain projects)
-no worries about getting new one with yellowish screen,image ghosting,fan issues

keep yours.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
-yours is easy to upgrade compared to new ones...put in a ssd and use your hd as external storage
-yours has a dvd player (still handy for certain projects)
-no worries about getting new one with yellowish screen,image ghosting,fan issues

keep yours.

+1 here, keep what you have, open it up and add the SSD of your choise and be merry!:apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.