Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in the process of trying/failing to download Adobe Flash Player to my MBP, i added Firefox to it. I will live without Flash but want to get Firefox safely deleted from my MBP. I am a newbie to macs on top of being computer illiterate so please be simple. I do know enough to think I need more than drag it to the trash in order to prevent any problems for my mac sometime in the future.

Thank you for any assistance you can be,

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Somewhere in the process of trying/failing to download Adobe Flash Player to my MBP, i added Firefox to it. I will live without Flash but want to get Firefox safely deleted from my MBP. I am a newbie to macs on top of being computer illiterate so please be simple. I do know enough to think I need more than drag it to the trash in order to prevent any problems for my mac sometime in the future.

Thank you for any assistance you can be,

You can just drag the Firefox icon into the Trash Bin and that will get rid of it. Or if you want a more thorough deletion, check out the steps in this post:

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Oh, I want it to be as simple as dragging to the trash. My problem is I read in these forums too much where if you do that you leave behind little traces of something that could cause you problems down the road so just trying to do it right at this point.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
one thing i would also suggest, is to goto your User Library Folder.

If your on Snow Leopard click on the Go link in Finder menu bar and choose Library

or in Lion/Mt Lion Option Click GO from the finder menu bar and select library

open Application Support
located FireFox and delete the Firefox folder.

it will remove all the settings, profiles, and etc stuff firefox had before so if you were to install it again it would be fresh

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
one thing i would also suggest, is to goto your User Library Folder.

If your on Snow Leopard click on the Go link in Finder menu bar and choose Library

or in Lion/Mt Lion Option Click GO from the finder menu bar and select library

open Application Support
located FireFox and delete the Firefox folder.

it will remove all the settings, profiles, and etc stuff firefox had before so if you were to install it again it would be fresh

Thank you. I have had this mac a week and am very computer illiterate. I cant find library when i click on Go To in the Finder menu. Can you explain in complete steps? Sorry. And I know I will not be installing Firefox in the future, I just want to make sure I delete it all. Oh, I have Mountain Lion.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Thank you. I have had this mac a week and am very computer illiterate. I cant find library when i click on Go To in the Finder menu. Can you explain in complete steps? Sorry. And I know I will not be installing Firefox in the future, I just want to make sure I delete it all. Oh, I have Mountain Lion.

When you click on Go, press the Option key while clicking on GO or when the Menu list is displayed.

Or click anywhere on the desktop so you're in Finder or open a new finder window and press these quick keys SHIFT COMMAND G and type in ~/Library and it will also lead you to your User Library Folder

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
When you click on Go, press the Option key while clicking on GO or when the Menu list is displayed.

Or click anywhere on the desktop so you're in Finder or open a new finder window and press these quick keys SHIFT COMMAND G and type in ~/Library and it will also lead you to your User Library Folder

Thank you. I found it by using the option key. In Application Support I found something called Firefox AND Mozilla (separate folder for each one). Mozilla is the Parent for the Firefox app from what I saw as I was installing them. May have that wrong tho. Anyway, so far I have drug both of them to trash, have not emptied yet. Do you think its ok to delete this Mozilla too when I empty the trash. I know I'm paranoid of "messing up" my new MBP.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion is different.

Keep Firefox around as an "alternative browser".

Now and then, you may encounter a problem with Safari at a certain page or website.

In that case, you can try the same page in Firefox -- it may work, when Safari does not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.