Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sun surfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
As said in another thread, I'm redoing my itunes library and I started by first removing everything from itunes and its file folders, then I'm re-added music back in now.

One big problem I'm having is that as I add it back in and try to edit different fields of info, itunes has apparently remembered everything from before as to incorrect titles and misspelling and things. This is really annoying since if it didn't remember the old ones, once I wrote one in right, if I needed to write the same thing in again on another track, it would auto-fill-in the right thing, and this would make things so much easier.

But now, even once I write something in correctly, since itunes remembers a similar old one that's incorrect, it seems to always try to auto-fill with the old one. And as you guys know from auto-fill-ins, it even changes what I'm writing in correctly to the wrong thing sometimes! So I have to write it, let it change as it will, then go back to the now wrong part and change it back to what I had already written in correctly.

Anyway, the old ones shouldn't even be there anymore as an auto-fill-in option; I've erased everything to start over so that info should have been erased.

Does anyone know if there's a cache or something somewhere that I can delete to reset that information? Or some other way to do it?

Deleting the app and reinstalling isn't an option though because I've already put a good amount of songs back on and edited their info which I don't want to have to do again and I don't want to have to bother resetting everything up with my apple account and all my devices on itunes.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
One big problem I'm having is that as I add it back in and try to edit different fields of info, itunes has apparently remembered everything from before as to incorrect titles and misspelling and things.
iTunes isn't "remembering" what you've typed. Instead, it offers auto-complete suggestions based on data that currently exists in that tag for other songs in your library.

For example, if I have a song in my library with an Album Artist of "Sanatna" instead of "Santana", when I start to type "Santana" in a new song's Album Artist field, iTunes may suggest the misspelled version. To correct that, search your library for the misspelled version and correct it. Then iTunes will no longer suggest that when typing data in that field.

Note that you'll have to do this with every tag where misspellings occur. If you correct it in Album Artist, that won't apply to Artist, Album, etc.

sun surfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
iTunes isn't "remembering" what you've typed. Instead, it offers auto-complete suggestions based on data that currently exists in that tag for other songs in your library.

For example, if I have a song in my library with an Album Artist of "Sanatna" instead of "Santana", when I start to type "Santana" in a new song's Album Artist field, iTunes may suggest the misspelled version. To correct that, search your library for the misspelled version and correct it. Then iTunes will no longer suggest that when typing data in that field.

Note that you'll have to do this with every tag where misspellings occur. If you correct it in Album Artist, that won't apply to Artist, Album, etc.

Thanks for trying to help but no, I'm sorry but this is wrong. What you are saying is what I thought would happen too, but it's not what happened. Note that I erased *everything* then began to add songs back in, and I had the problem from the first and still have it even though as I add songs in, I *am* correcting all misspellings.

So, to be clear, at the moment, I have about 100 songs I've already added back in to start with since I'm just beginning, all corrected in all editable data to the way I want it. Yet I can still go to one that's correct, tap the field to edit it, start to write it back in again and yet the old wrong version will *still* show up as an auto-fill-in.

Want more proof? Before, I had a lot of things written without capital letters since when you're adding in stuff and want to change something it's easier just to type it in without capitals, or some things were just added to begin with without capitals, so I ended up with a library half capitalised and half all lower-case. So, removing everything and adding it back in now, one big thing I want to fix is capitalising everything correctly as I add it in. And low and behold, even though currently *everything* in my library is capitalised correctly, the auto-fill-in will still put in the lower-case (and sometimes misspelled or otherwise incorrect) version that I'd had in before I removed my former library to start over.

So there's got to be a way to reset that auto-fill-in because somehow it's remembering what used to be in the library, not just what's currently in it.

ETA - Even more proof - Since I'm just starting, I only have a small amount of artists as before. Yet, sometimes when I start to edit the artist info and just type the first letter or two, an artist I had in *before* will pop up as an the auto-fill-in even though I don't have that artist back in my library yet. Same with song titles and so on.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for trying to help but no, I'm sorry but this is wrong. What you are saying is what I thought would happen too, but it's not what happened. Note that I erased *everything* then began to add songs back in,
Try creating a new library and importing songs there. It sounds like your existing library is corrupt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.