Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omfgskyler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Is there a noticeable difference between the two? I'm considering selling my MBP 13... It's kinda slow nowadays and although I could upgrade the HDD to an SSD... I'd rather have the Air.. much more portable. I don't need the 256GB, but it's the only way I can get the i7. I'd save a good $400 on the i5 which I could put towards a Mini. Opinions?

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
For things like editing photos, surfing the net and checking email, then no. There is no big difference in terms of speed for those things. If you were rendering videos in FCPX then maybe a little bit. If it were a comparison between a dual core and a quad core processor for video work I would say a HECK ya. However the Air only comes with a dual core processor right now.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
as above you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference.

however.

the i5 and i7 may support different hardware features (forget off the top of my head in mobile CPUs). if you plan to boot camp, run virtualization, etc you may want to check ark.intel.com for the cpu specs you are considering to check that they have the features you need.

if that didn't make sense to you, you'll be fine with the i5

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I have both - a 2012 11" with an i7 and 8GB of RAM, and a new low-end 13" that I bought courtesy of the two-day Amazon and Best Buy sale. I've been surprised to notice no real difference between the two in terms of speed.

I concur with the other thoughts in this thread: The only real jump you'd feel would be if Quad-Core processors took the place of the Dual-Cores.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
as above you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference.

however.

the i5 and i7 may support different hardware features (forget off the top of my head in mobile CPUs). if you plan to boot camp, run virtualization, etc you may want to check ark.intel.com for the cpu specs you are considering to check that they have the features you need.

if that didn't make sense to you, you'll be fine with the i5

False. The i5 and i7 support the exact same extensions and instructions.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
No ... the MBA chips are dual-core. But we can hope! I have a 2.0 gHz quad-core MBP and a 2.0 i7 MBA; there's quite a difference in processor speed under load.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I heard the i7 also consumes battery life quicker. I'm not sure if I would even sacrifice battery life for a little bit extra speed.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
see the word "may".

on the desktop it is/was different, hence my suggestion to check ark.intel.com

For the moment it works this way, quad core i5s have hyperthreading disabled. They're only available in desktop variants. The equivalent Xeon E3s follow the same pattern. The i5 and i7 are around a 12-15% difference in Geekbench. That isn't much when you figure the quad core macbook pros are more like 80% higher. I doubt one would be retired later than the other. 4GB of ram vs 8 is a much bigger difference than a few points in geekbench.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
For the moment it works this way, quad core i5s have hyperthreading disabled. They're only available in desktop variants. The equivalent Xeon E3s follow the same pattern. The i5 and i7 are around a 12-15% difference in Geekbench. That isn't much when you figure the quad core macbook pros are more like 80% higher. I doubt one would be retired later than the other. 4GB of ram vs 8 is a much bigger difference than a few points in geekbench.

I agree completely. I'm never annoyed by my i5, but my 4GB RAM is something of a performance bottleneck. With 8GB you should be fine with either processor option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.