Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hi guys, i know it's kind a annoying topic but my last nearly hour was dedicated to search RAM topics. there are tons but to boil it down i have to spend another few hours. Also, this thread could save some time for someone like me :)
(donno how MR agree with Less Time thing ;)

So, Got a mini 2012 i7 what ram is best, interested 16GB but 8 Gb might be good for someone.

lets do it in organised way

What Machine - ?
Ram- ?
Price- ?
Pros- ?
cons- ?

I would be very grateful if anyone provide nice and short guidance to buy new RAM

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
What Machine - 2012 Mac Mini 2.5GHz i5
Ram- 16GB Crucial
Price- $80
Pros- Good Price for the amount of Ram I got.
cons- I havent used this ram for very long but i have heard others say you cant go wrong with Crucial.

Just make sure the timings on the ram are 9, 10, or 11.
Link to RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148609

----------

Also once you upgrade the ram to either 8GB or more it will boost your Ram available to the Intel 4000 HD to 768MB

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

the first one is 1333 speed
the second one is 1600 speed.

they will both work. I personally don't like corsair very much.

here is the best ram for a 2012 mac mini

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...186&seller=&shipPromoFilter=1&sort=sip&sr=8-1

best by speed no faster every other 16gb kit is slower

best by size no bigger then 16gb

best by it works I have never seen a confirmed failure of these sticks.

are they worth the 126 FOR MOST USERS NO

WHY IS THAT? the speed boost is small. the corsair you picked are 95 and very close to the same speed. the 31 difference can be spent on other products such as a bigger ssd if you are adding one.

Last edited:

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Last edited:

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
what machine - 2012 mac mini 2.5ghz i5
ram - 16gb crucial
price - $72
pros - it's been stable so far, good price, can't go wrong with the memory advisor
cons - no problems so far ...hmm, is this a con?

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=0f8f0f9ea5ca7304

$95 :(

Can you recommend any particular 16GB kit from UK Crucial site please.

----------

Too much people have had problems with the Corsair Vengeance.

The best RAM to date for 2012 Macs is actually the Kingston HyperX Plug'n'Play, it's the fastest, it's reliable and it's praised by anybody who has ever tried it.

no doubt about Kingston Hyper but can you recommend any particular other (cheaper) 16GB kit options

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
that works. use one 2gb and one 8gb total 10

then add one more 8gb later.

Not a good idea, just going to creat problems for hamkor04's machine, it will more then likely only see 4 GB of total memory. Remember the machine uses memory pairing.

Mixing dimm sizes is not recommend:http://support.apple.com/kb/index?p...rch&locale=en_US&q=mixing memory module sizes

Cheers,
Greg

FWIW

If interested Kingston has this freebee for now when ordering:

In honor of our 25th Year Anniversary celebration, you have been chosen to receive a "free" 25 YEAR COMMEMORATIVE DRIVE. (while supplies last)

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Not a good idea, just going to creat problems for hamkor04's machine, it will more then likely only see 4 GB of total memory. Remember the machine uses memory pairing.

Mixing dimm sizes is not recommend:http://support.apple.com/kb/index?p...rch&locale=en_US&q=mixing memory module sizes

Cheers,
Greg

FWIW

If interested Kingston has this freebee for now when ordering:

In honor of our 25th Year Anniversary celebration, you have been chosen to receive a "free" 25 YEAR COMMEMORATIVE DRIVE. (while supplies last)

Seriously this is soooo wrong... No it won't run in dual channel because they are unlike pairs but you will still see 10gb. By not running in dual channel, there will be a performance hit by about 5% though (depends on the situation could be a bit more or a bit less)...

Edit: you troubleshoot hardware for a living?!? Wow, just wow

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Seriously this is soooo wrong... No it won't run in dual channel because they are unlike pairs but you will still see 10gb. By not running in dual channel, there will be a performance hit by about 5% though (depends on the situation could be a bit more or a bit less)...

Edit: you troubleshoot hardware for a living?!? Wow, just wow

What the heck are you saying? The point that was being made was not to mix dimm sizes, guess that went right over your head. Big deal about the miss statement on the amount of memory seen by the system. Do you actually know why the performance degrades it has to do with a memory function actually called interleaving. You just get out of high school or something?

Yeah I troubleshoot hardware for a living, Sun, HP, Microcomputer, a smattering of Dell all servers, Sun Blades, M5000 - T2000, full line to V240, HP Blades, G4s G5s , I could go on. Also admin, the following OS, Unix command line, Solaris, Veritas, Solstice disk suite, Windows, touching Linux and still learning. Apple my choice of home machine, field serviced these 1995, anyway you should get the point.

So king of the keyboard what's your credentials or do you just go around putting your foot in your mouth cause you like the taste of your shoe leather?

Regards,
Greg

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Big deal about the miss statement on the amount of memory seen by the system. Do you actually know why the performance degrades it has to do with a memory function actually called interleaving. You just get out of high school or something?

What's your point? I do know why the performance degrades thank you. I didn't say I didn't did I? It's called Google. And no. I graduated college about a decade ago. Thank you.
So king of the keyboard what's your credentials or do you just go around putting your foot in your mouth cause you like the taste of your shoe leather?

That's the point! I have almost no credentials other than some real world experience with personal computers and I knew your answer was full of crap. What really is sad is that just above your post it had been already confirmed that it would work (by philipma who is pretty much the memory guru of the Mac Mini). So congrats, you apparently troubleshoot hardware for a living and didn't even know a simple fact that RAM in a moderm computer can be mixed. This isn't the 80's/90's....

P.S. I'm not the one that put his shoe in his mouth.....

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
The Crucial 2x8GB 1600MHz kit for Mac is on par with the stock memory that Apple ships with it's Macs, same great reliability.

I'm also running Crucial memory in my 2012 MBP. It was a great experience from the Memory Adviser thru the install. It runs great and I thought the price was fair: $96.

I've bought RAM from OWC in the past. When one stick was bad they were quick to cross ship a replacement. No complaints with these guys, I just bought from Crucial most recently as they were cheaper.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
What's your point? I do know why the performance degrades thank you. I didn't say I didn't did I? It's called Google. And no. I graduated college about a decade ago. Thank you.

That's the point! I have almost no credentials other than some real world experience with personal computers and I knew your answer was full of crap. What really is sad is that just above your post it had been already confirmed that it would work (by philipma who is pretty much the memory guru of the Mac Mini). So congrats, you apparently troubleshoot hardware for a living and didn't even know a simple fact that RAM in a moderm computer can be mixed. This isn't the 80's/90's....

P.S. I'm not the one that put his shoe in his mouth.....

relax paul.
Just because I have tested every mac mini made since 2006. except the 2012 2.6 quad.
Just because I put every combination of ram in all of those minis possible .

Just because sandy and ivy mac minis have been the easiest most accepting of ram of all the minis.

Apple does say don't mix and match. So the official apple info is don't do it.

Paul people will just believe the apple info

But I have built 50 computers that work with mixed sticks.

Also HP notebooks sell a 2gb plus 4gb as stock they also sell a 4gb with a 8gb

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...ilion-dv6t-7000-CTO-Entertainment-Notebook-PC see thumbnail

truth be told there are lots of typos and errors on the net. some times it is out and out lies.

other times just an error. the wrong click and drag etc. I can tell you that apple has the wrong info on mixed sticks 2gb + 8gb will work as 10gb on the 2012 base and the 2.3 quad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 7.45.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 7.45.44 PM.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
relax paul.
Just because I have tested every mac mini made since 2006. except the 2012 2.6 quad.
Just because I put every combination of ram in all of those minis possible .

Just because sandy and ivy mac minis have been the easiest most accepting of ram of all the minis.

Apple does say don't mix and match. So the official apple info is don't do it.

Paul people will just believe the apple info

But I have built 50 computers that work with mixed sticks.

truth be told there are lots of typos and errors on the net. some times it is out and out lies. other times just an error. the wrong click and drag etc.

Haha Thanks for the laugh! I agree there are lots of errors on the internet which is why we have to contradict them when the info is incorrectly passed. Imagine if the OP (or someone else who happened to stumble on this thread) read the above comment with no one to contradict him? Sure 2GB + 8GB isn't optimal, but it is just fine as a "short term" solution....

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You may have put any combination of RAM in a Mac and it certainly works, but unlike HP, Apple cares about performance and hence ships matching pairs - because only those run in dual channel mode, doubling the RAM throughput.

So, if you want to make your new Mac slower, go ahead and safe $30. That's what, a Philly cheesesteak, a coke and a cookie?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
You may have put any combination of RAM in a Mac and it certainly works, but unlike HP, Apple cares about performance and hence ships matching pairs - because only those run in dual channel mode, doubling the RAM throughput.

yes I never said that mix and matching was ideal. but if you run 9gb a lot and you use 2 +8 gb = 10gb

you won't page out.

if you are short cash and the oem machine is 2gb + 2gb .

you are pulling 9gb of ram with your work.

buying 1 8gb stick now then one stick later is the best solution.

personally I use 2x 4gb or 2x 8gb in my builds as I have 20 to 30 sticks on hand. the op indicated short cash and asked if a solution of 2 + 8 now and 8 + 8 later would work.

the answer is yes it should.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Hi guys, i know it's kind a annoying topic but my last nearly hour was dedicated to search RAM topics. there are tons but to boil it down i have to spend another few hours. Also, this thread could save some time for someone like me :)
(donno how MR agree with Less Time thing ;)

So, Got a mini 2012 i7 what ram is best, interested 16GB but 8 Gb might be good for someone.

lets do it in organised way

What Machine - ?
Ram- ?
Price- ?
Pros- ?
cons- ?

I would be very grateful if anyone provide nice and short guidance to buy new RAM

Heh, I ordered 16GB RAM for my 15" late '11 mbp from Crucial and pulled out the 8gb of Crucial RAM it already had in it and stuck it in my mac mini, so I guess my experience is 1333MHZ 8GB Cas 9 Crucial RAM in my 2012 mac mini, and it continues to work perfectly... I wouldn't recommend that model of RAM though because there's better ram (1600mhz) which is what the 2012 minis come with to begin with.... All the same, 8GB @ lower clockspeed still trumps the 4GB of higher clockspeed the Mini came with. Anyways, I go with Crucial, they have a good reputation (I have several Crucial M4 SSDs too) and it's always shipped ridiculously fast to Portland, OR (I think it's shipped out of Idaho).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.