Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Hi people, new to this forum, but not to forums. I have an iPad 1 with mods that I use about 5 times a month.
Here is my question: When my iPad reboots, the screen turns on, right? So what is supposed to display is "iPad", correct? Mine, when it reboots, does not say "ipad", but it just shows a white apple. You guy's think, well, so what? Well, I'm wondering, since I got this Ipad used, if the batteries have been replaced before? I would love to know.

Also another quick question, my charger say's, "ipod charger". Does that mean the charger has been replaced? My Ipad works PERFECTLY, charges perfectly, does have shorter battery life than usual, but i have read around this forum and figured out it is probably my settings. Push notifications, wifi search, screen resolution set almost to the best brightness, anyway, I would love it if you guys could answer this question for me.

Thanks so much guys, i love this forum! :)

Jonny H

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
No one's iPad says "iPad" after reboot. You don't have anything to worry about. The white Apple logo is normal.

Where does your charger say that?

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Really? The white apple logo is normal? When people are selling their iPad, the screen says, "Ipad". Well, maybe I could ask, do you think my batteries have been replaced since the iPad was new? How will I know if the batteries have been replaced? It was manufactured 4-2010. It's a first Gen you probably know.

About the charger, it say's "iPod charger" at the bottom of the charger. It should say "iPad charger", should it not?

Thanks for answering. And thanks in advance! :)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
The iPad you're seeing is at the setup screen before the user gets to the Home screen.

I doubt the battery has been replaced. You can pay to have it replaced ($99), but most users won't do that. Apple states they should hold 80% of their original capacity after 1000 charges.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

None of Apple's chargers say anything on them like iPod, iPad or iPhone. You should probably look into getting one from Apple. They're only $19 without a cable.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The only way to replace the battery requires you to pull out the display so look for tool marks etc.

A charger that says 'iPod' is the old 5 watt so no, not the correct one.

Battery life is likely consuming out because the tech in the iPad 1 was sheeeet. After 18 months or so, depending on usage, it just won't hold a full charge anymore.

And what does 'with mods' mean

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
The only way to replace the battery requires you to pull out the display so look for tool marks etc.

Battery life is likely consuming out because the tech in the iPad 1 was sheeeet. After 18 months or so, depending on usage, it just won't hold a full charge anymore.

"With mods" means jailbroken I'm assuming since it's listed that way in the OP's sig.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high

Hazycloud is correct in that I meant my Ipad is jailbroken and customized, modded. I'm from the Lexus world...sorry...:D

The charger that says "iPod" does charge the iPad perfectly. Is it important to replace? I loked over the iPad and saw no marks or anything. In fact, my iPad is almost mint condition. Not one tiny weenie ding, a tiny bit worn out on the rear casing, and a couple small screen scratches but nothing bad at all.

Once again, thanks so much for helping me, I'm not much of a Mac person, I don't use them as much.

Should I really be concerned about the charger?

Thanks so much for the help guys.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If the charger is indeed one from Apple, then no. If it's some 3rd party charger, I'd replace it with one from Apple.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
OK, then I can probably keep the charger adapter. I found what model it is. It says word for word: "iPod USB Power Adapter, Designed by Apple in California. Model # A1205.

Power output is 5v 50-60 hz. 100-240v. Does this sound like it should be good?

Thanks hazy.

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Actually they do. The iPad one should say "10w adapter" or "12w adapter" on it. The iPod one will work fine, but it will take twice as long to charge.

Umm, no actually they don't. While they list the wattage, they DO NOT say iPad or iPod on them, which is what I said.

Here's an image of one. Notice how it only mentions the wattage and not the model. (BTW, it's not my image.)

Attachments

• 140cf43.jpg
    140cf43.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Umm, no actually they don't. While they list the wattage, they DO NOT say iPad or iPod on them, which is what I said.

Actually, they DO.

photo.JPG

Note the top line (bottom in the iPhone's upside-down photo). Quite clearly says "iPod USB Power Adapter".

:rolleyes:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Actually, they DO.

Note the top line (bottom in the iPhone's upside-down photo). Quite clearly says "iPod USB Power Adapter".

:rolleyes:

Lol, that's funny. So iPods do, but iPads and iPhones don't. I guess we are both right.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Actually, my charger does indeed say "iPod" on it. Not my picture either, but you can barely see the word "iPod" on the adapter. This is identical to what I have.
images

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Actually, my charger does indeed say "iPod" on it. Not my picture either, but you can barely see the word "iPod" on the adapter. This is identical to what I have.

Yeah, it appears iPod does list iPod on their chargers while iPhone and iPad do not. I was incorrect about the iPod chargers. Either way, the charger will work fine for your iPad. It'll just charge it slower than the iPad charger like Brian Y mentioned.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Yeah, it appears iPod does list iPod on their chargers while iPhone and iPad do not. I was incorrect about the iPod chargers. Either way, the charger will work fine for your iPad. It'll just charge it slower than the iPad charger like Brian Y mentioned.
I know this is a weird question, but which charger is easier on the battery? lol, dumb q I know...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I know this is a weird question, but which charger is easier on the battery? lol, dumb q I know...

Well, I'd assume it doesn't matter as Apple provides the 10w with the purchase of a new iPad with the exception of the 4th gen which gets the 12w charger and the mini which gets the 5w charger. I charge my mini with a 10w and don't even think twice about it. Same goes for my iPhone 5. I use a 10w on it all the time.

Don't worry about it and just use the device as it's intended. If you worry yourself about the small details, you won't ever be able to fully enjoy it. If you are concerned about the device, you may look into getting insurance that covers repairs.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The charger that says "iPod" does charge the iPad perfectly.

Actually, early on the ipod chargers did have ipod charger written on them (left).

My first gen iPad charger (right) doesn't have ipad written on it, just 10w USB.

I always thought the ipad charger was more powerful...??? It seems they are the same for the ipod touch and 1st gen ipad.

Edit: I just realized the OP had posted the same type of pic. This is confirmation in the wild though I guess.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2074.JPG
    IMG_2074.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 156

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Actually, early on the ipod chargers did have ipod charger written on them (left).

My first gen iPad charger (right) doesn't have ipad written on it, just 10w USB.

I always thought the ipad charger was more powerful...??? It seems they are the same for the ipod touch and 1st gen ipad.

Edit: I just realized the OP had posted the same type of pic. This is confirmation in the wild though I guess.
lol OK, thanks for the confirmation! I bought a 10W charger anyway. I know I didn't have to but I did. It was a good deal anyway, on eBay it was brand new made by apple for $10.25 with the cable and adapter. LMK if you wanna see the listing :D
Thanks all

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hazycloud is correct in that I meant my Ipad is jailbroken and customized, modded.

That's possibly the answer right there. Many jailbreak tweaks kill battery usage, especially if you have several of them going at once. Many apps available from Cydia etc have the same issue.

So either restore the ipad and don't jailbreak it or resign yourself to having piss poor battery life.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
That's possibly the answer right there. Many jailbreak tweaks kill battery usage, especially if you have several of them going at once. Many apps available from Cydia etc have the same issue.

So either restore the ipad and don't jailbreak it or resign yourself to having piss poor battery life.
I used Absinthe to jail break my iPad. The two programs, Hackulos, and Installuous don't exist anymore. The went out of business. I have the Cydia app but I don't run anything from the jailbreak. I have downloaded zero jailbreak apps or upgrades since jailbreaking my iPad, so I don't think it would use battery life. My battery is completely fine, I was just wanting to know what was best for it.
I would use Red Snow or Green Poison but I don't really wanna jailbreak my poor old iPad again lol.
Thanks for all of the information.:apple:

Last edited:

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Tested the battery last night...

Hey guys, speaking of batteries, I put my iPad battery to the test. I know you guy's do this on a regular basis, but I never leave my iPad on sleep a lot. Anyway, I left it on sleep for approx 14 hours straight. Turned off all of the push notifications, turned Airplane mode on, turned location services off, and ended all of the apps that were running at the time. I pressed the sleep button at 26%. I woke up this morning 14 hrs later, (no, I didn't sleep 14 hrs), and turned the screen on. It said 26%. Not a dang percent of battery power was lost...Is this normal for such an old iPad?? I love this kind of normal if it is! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.