Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hey,

I've seen a lot of apps both in the Google Play (Android) and App Store (iOS) that are utilities for major, popular games (i.e. MMORPGs). By utility, I mean an apps that you get a better map of a certain video game fantasy land, "skill" calculators, leveling-up guides, etc.

Furthermore, many of these apps are either ad based or payed. Some of the more popular ones are obviously generating significant revenue and profit for the developer.

These specific utility apps obviously rely on the game being in existence in the first place.

What is the legality in this? Are these developers safe just by putting the basic disclaimers on how they do not own nor are affiliated with the game (and its rightful owners)?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
IANAL, but so long as you're not reducing the game's revenues in any way, I see no reason they would care. Getting into contact with the company that makes the game and actually receiving an OK would be a good idea... In my experience to actually ever get an OK for something like this, you need to call on behalf of an established company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.