Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Hello everyone!
This is kind of a pointless thread but i wanted to sort of get some ideas. I bought my mom an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4 for my father. This is my mom's 2nd smartphone and she enjoys it immensely, much more than the Atrix 4G that she had. Instead of calling me, she now FaceTimes me and send me game invites all the time. It's kind of cool to see someone who was fairly tech illiterate embracing technology.

However, my dad has never had a smartphone before and he's still reluctant to leave his basic flip-phone behind but I figured since we were on the MobileShare plan and "already paying for internet" that it was time for him to move up in the tech world. I'm fairly certain that he won't use any apps or even get on the internet but since he gets lost all the time, I'll put both Google and Apple Maps on there for him.

So I guess what i'm trying to get at is....was it "worth" using an upgrade to get a 4 or should I get him the 4s as it is more likely to be upgradeable to iOS7? The way I see it, if we are technically able to upgrade every 18-24 months that you get the state-of-the-art phone and enjoy it. If I hadn't been able to sell my iPhone 4 on ebay for a great price, I probably would not have upgraded to the 5 .

I apologize for my poor writing skills and for the fact that my thoughts are very sort of incoherent at the moment.

Sincerely,
Jay

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I think the 4 was the better choice because of the battery life - a lot of people who I have observed when transitioning to new tech (saw this a LOT as everyone started migrating to laptops) tend to be disappointed the most by the simplest things, and for mobile devices it seems to me that battery life is immensely important to newbies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.