Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
My Apple ID has always been my personal email address (not an Apple email). When I went into system preferences, I decided to create an Apple iCloud email, which I would like to be my primary email from now on (I will no longer be able to use the other email). However, it seems that the new Apple email is now the alternate email address. I would like to make this the primary one because I will not use the other one. I would basically like to remove my previous email from iCloud/iTunes entirely, and start fresh with the Apple email.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Sorry, it's not possible. Apple doesn't allow a user to change their Apple ID to an @me or @icloud address.

The kicker? A brand new user CAN use an @icloud for their Apple ID. If you didn't have an Apple ID at all, you could then use your Apple email address.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
My Apple ID has always been my personal email address (not an Apple email). When I went into system preferences, I decided to create an Apple iCloud email, which I would like to be my primary email from now on (I will no longer be able to use the other email). However, it seems that the new Apple email is now the alternate email address. I would like to make this the primary one because I will not use the other one. I would basically like to remove my previous email from iCloud/iTunes entirely, and start fresh with the Apple email.

You should be able to change out that primary address to any non-@me or @icloud email address but still be able to login with your iCloud email address to access services. So if you have xxx@gmail.com as the primary and xxx@me.com as the alternate you should still be able to login with the xxx@me.com user name.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
At one time or another I have probably spent several hours looking at this--and what was said here is absolutely true. I thought you just couldn't use .me or .icloud until I helped a friend set up his account--and low and behold, an icloud address is just fine. But of course when I tried to change mine, no .me or .icloud. This is really a mystery I would love to hear the reason for--only thing I can ever find is that it is not possible--but never a why. :confused:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You should be able to change out that primary address to any non-@me or @icloud email address but still be able to login with your iCloud email address to access services. So if you have xxx@gmail.com as the primary and xxx@me.com as the alternate you should still be able to login with the xxx@me.com user name.

Yes and no. You can make an @icloud your alternate email address for your Apple ID, but when signing in you can use your @iCloud, but it will not display as such on the App Store or iTunes. (For some strange reason it will display your @iCloud under iMessage and FaceTime.)

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
The Whole Apple ID Thing is Crazy!

I have had a similar struggle as the Apple ID relates to my music.

I would like to transfer my music from my old Apple ID to my new .me Apple ID.

I received a few answers on this website, ranging anywhere from you definitely can move music....to you definitely can't.

The answers that I received that you can move music to a newer Apple ID had such cumbersome processes, that I am still counting it, as can not be done.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Why make it simple, when they can make it complicated, unreasonable & frustrating. Because they're Apple, thrilled with the power they have to complicate things. :eek:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I have had a similar struggle as the Apple ID relates to my music.

I would like to transfer my music from my old Apple ID to my new .me Apple ID.

I received a few answers on this website, ranging anywhere from you definitely can move music....to you definitely can't.

The answers that I received that you can move music to a newer Apple ID had such cumbersome processes, that I am still counting it, as can not be done.

You'd be correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.