Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I updated through OTA

I even backed it up to iTunes, erased and restored it but the battery still drains fast. I also uninstalled all the apps I had and GPS is always off.

Is there any way to fix this? Same thing happened with my iPad on iOS 6.1. I have a 4S btw.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Sounds like you might have to restore and set up as new. I'm getting great battery life on 6.1 on my 4S although I disabled 3G and am on EDGE + Wi-Fi.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I agree,both with my 5 and my dad's 4S.However,I kinda got a workaround,when am home I jsut switch off the cellular data,and it surprisingly increased the battery life by significant amount.

Just need to remember to turn it on before leaving house.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
My iPhone 5 got much better battery with iOS 6.1. My battery life didn't decrease till I installed intelliscreenX.

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Sounds like you might have to restore and set up as new. I'm getting great battery life on 6.1 on my 4S although I disabled 3G and am on EDGE + Wi-Fi.

Set up as new? Wouldn't that mean I'd lose all my saved text messages, pics, data, etc?

Or do you mean set up as new > erase > restore from iTunes?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I updated through OTA

I even backed it up to iTunes, erased and restored it but the battery still drains fast. I also uninstalled all the apps I had and GPS is always off.

Is there any way to fix this? Same thing happened with my iPad on iOS 6.1. I have a 4S btw.

I always thought it was best to update via iTunes because OTA causes a bunch of problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Set up as new? Wouldn't that mean I'd lose all my saved text messages, pics, data, etc?

Or do you mean set up as new > erase > restore from iTunes?

Full restore in iTunes without a restore from backup. There are ways to get your texts back without restoring a full backup, however. :)

Boob

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Full restore in iTunes without a restore from backup. There are ways to get your texts back without restoring a full backup, however. :)

Do you mean erase my phone then when I get to the set up screen I choose restore from iTunes? That's what I did initially.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
There seems to be a big bug with Exchange accounts in 6.1. Can you revert to IMAP until they fix the bug?

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
Mine improved significantly with 6.1. I had to do an OTA update since it wouldn't update on iTunes. I was just going to restore my phone since the battery life on 6.0.1 was horrendous. My battery life has increased 2.5 fold. I was barely getting 3 hrs before and now I'm at 7 hours.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Do people cycle their battery a couple of times after an OS update as with a new phone?

If the power management software needs cycling from power down to full charge to improve battery life as seems to be the case from new (I guess for the management system to know the full amount of battery available - I'm no expert on this as you can tell!) then this would be the case with a fresh OS too I'd expect. I always do this and never experience the battery life problems that people complain about with my iPhone or iPad.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/13/...ttery-life-drain-overheating-for-iphone-users

"We have started seeing an increase in iPhone issues related to battery life and overheating. All of them seem to be related to users upgrading their devices to iOS 6.1. Furthermore, Vodafone UK today began sending out text messages to iPhone 4S owners on its network, warning them not to upgrade to iOS 6.1 due to issues with 3G performance. The text reads, 'If you've not already downloaded iOS 6.1 for your iPhone 4s, please hold off for the next version while Apple fixes 3G performance issues. Thanks.'"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.