Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Hello everyone!

I've finally gave in and in the next few days will receive my Ipad Mini, but im wondering about jailbreaking it as soon as i get it and wanted to ask you guys if you could point me to some tutorial about it so i dont end up bricking the Ipad.

Also since im going to do it as soon as i get it I wont need to backup anything or do i?

If you feel like there's other non jailbreak related stuff i should know about, please tell me! =)

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Hello everyone!

I've finally gave in and in the next few days will receive my Ipad Mini, but im wondering about jailbreaking it as soon as i get it and wanted to ask you guys if you could point me to some tutorial about it so i dont end up bricking the Ipad.

Also since im going to do it as soon as i get it I wont need to backup anything or do i?

If you feel like there's other non jailbreak related stuff i should know about, please tell me! =)

http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=30&seid=16

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
My advice would be to learn all the features & benefits of iOS 6.1.x first.

Taking your time to learn & enjoy your new unadulterated iPad _before_ embarking upon significantly modifying it, will serve you well.

As one who has lots of experience with iPhones & iPads both stock, and Jailbroken, they each have their pros & cons.

Once one jailbreaks the device it becomes a lot more time consuming to setup & sort out, since the reason to jailbreak is to modify, which tends to snowball depending on your goals.

At the end of the day it's all about how you use your device. A consideration you can only imagine now. Once in your hand being used day to day, you may find your desires have changed dramatically.

So there's a few things to think about. :)

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Download all the Apple apps first.

Take your time when setting it up. nothing more fun than starting with a blank slate iDevice!

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks everyone!

I guess i will use it for some time without jailbreaking it.

By the way, Has there have been released any update for the ipad that fixes the exploit to jailbreak it?

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Thanks everyone!

I guess i will use it for some time without jailbreaking it.

By the way, Has there have been released any update for the ipad that fixes the exploit to jailbreak it?

Not yet, but considering my experiences with jailbreaking, often times it's more of a headache than it's worth.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
I jailbreak my phone. It's more of a personal thing, I don't go over-board (much like I did in the past). Just stuff that is relevant to my every day usage.

However I haven't and will not jailbreak my iPad 4. No need for it. Not for what I'm using it for.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Why wait to jailbreak? Sure you can learn the iOS, but it still works even if jailbroken.

I kept telling myself I was over jailbreaking when iOS 6 came out and didn't have an option with my Mini and iPhone 5, but now I just can't live without these OS tweaking programs:

- Springtomize (fully customize look/feel, etc, you can even change red/green/blue values of your display to compensate if you get a too yellow/warm screen, change icon sizes, folder behavior, etc)

- SBSettings/Activator, you can set up custom gestures and have a nice pop up display on the home screen to change brightness and other settings.

- SwipeSelection - lets you use gestures for editing text in apps like Note, this is really cool and better than the cumbersom magnifying glass cursor!

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I agree with the post directly above mine. Do not wait to Jailbreak.

First of all:
You can enjoy it 'unadultered' after jail-breaking and saving your blobs. Do that RIGHT AWAY. Because, Apple has wisened up and jailbreaking is not as easy to replicate as it once was.

Let me give you the "layman's" explanation:

In the past:
Once you jail broke, you could restore your device to the same version of iOS by tricking iTunes into not connecting with Apple and doing a 'local restore'. This allowed you to somewhat use your device with impunity because if it crashed, you could easily force it into a 'recovery' mode and restore it in iTunes. This somewhat relieved the urgency to jailbreak a device before Apple 'patched' the exploit. You could just stay on whatever iOS version it was and jailbreak when you wanted as LONG as you never updated.

Apple smartened up and now:

In the present:
Now, when you want to restore, whether it's local or connected to the internet, iTunes requires Apple to "sign" the firmware you're trying to install, before installing it. So when Apple releases a new version of iOS, even if you have the "jailbreak friendly" version installed, you cannot restore to the old iOS because Apple will not sign it. It puts a significant risk to waiting because if you jailbreak, you have to be cautious not to crash your device or you will restore to a non jailbroken version.

The solution:
Once jailbroken, you can save what are called "SHSH blobs", which is the signature from Apple to restore your device to that version. The blob, saved with an application called TinyUmbrella, is on your PC/Mac and when you want to restore to the "jailbreak" version, you simply use that blob to trick iTunes into thinking the signature came from Apple.

The thing is, the clock is ticking. Once Apple patches the exploit, that's it. No more old version restore for you.

While I agree with everyone that there's something to be had for enjoying an iPad while it's not jailbroken, I also think it's NOT their right or place to deny you of it by pressing their "virgin iPad" agenda onto you.

When your device is freshly jail broken, it is still an unadultered iPad with the only change being that it now has Cydia on it and the ability to run unsigned applications/code. Until you actually USE Cydia and start tweaking it, it's a very basic iPad. It still has access to the App store, iTunes, regular iPad apps and it looks exactly the same and behaves as so.

My recommendation? Jail break it, save your blobs and then try it out without any tweaks/apps installed.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Jebus, what's with all the instant-jailbreak-pushing?

Use the darn thing for a week. Learn how the app store works. Learn how to gesture-swipe between running apps. Learn how to set up notifications. Learn how an iPad works.

Once you hit a roadblock that gives you a reason to jailbreak, then do it. But take a moment to learn the basics first.

You all are like you're trying to teach someone to drive a race car before they've even taken a lesson in mom's station wagon. That's just silly.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Hey everyone! Just wanted to give an update here and tell you that i received my ipad yesterday, managed to save the blobs thing and jailbreak it, now im enjoying it without any tweaks until i get the hang of this.

I'm loving it so far! Thanks alot for the responses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.