Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
If the IPAD- Mini was offered as a phone would you buy it....

The market is migrating to larger and larger cell phones, almost making them Mini PC phones.... SO... would ya...

And if you would NOT ... what would change your mind?

B4 you say its too large to hold as a phone, The mini-phone would have to include a NICE blutooth head set...

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Are you asking me to hold the mini up to my ear in public?

No. This is a VERY silly question.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Are you asking me to hold the mini up to my ear in public?

not necessarily. there are things called headphones.

I wouldn't buy the Mini just for phone use but I wouldn't turn it down either for having it so long as that support didn't interfere with other uses.

Frankly I think if they did include phone support it would be via headphones or speakerphone modes only and possibly on VoIP only. Which might not be a bad thing

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Frankly I think if they did include phone support it would be via headphones or speakerphone modes only and possibly on VoIP only. Which might not be a bad thing

There's nothing stopping you from using a VoIP app now. Apple even includes Facetime which works quite well with a headset. Knock yourself out.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
If the IPAD- Mini was offered as a phone would you buy it....

The market is migrating to larger and larger cell phones, almost making them Mini PC phones.... SO... would ya...

And if you would NOT ... what would change your mind?

B4 you say its too large to hold as a phone, The mini-phone would have to include a NICE blutooth head set...

While I think the notion of a larger phone you hold to your head is ludicrous - it just looks so Dom Joly ridiculous, this subject isn't without merit, but I think what we need to focus on is instead of asking for larger phones, revamp the whole way cellular communication works, and take control back from the major telcos.

If every device had "cellular" capabilities (whether that be *one* universal VOIP standard all companies had to adhere to, or some other more clever way to deal with the problem), there wouldn't be this whole "phone vs. bigger phone vs. phablet vs. tablet" raging debate going on, all would be capable, I'd simply ask (as you suggest) that tablets and larger devices come with some sort of headset or perhaps a retractable wired earpiece/mic (or something more elegant) rather than force people to hold these big things to the side of their heads when communicating.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I dont think its a bad idea if mini can also be used as a phone.

First of all, Galaxy note is like 5.5 screen and selling crazy. People are looking for bigger and bigger screen these days. Bigger device means you can put bigger battery as well. Look at all the past slim phone (moto razr) and how people complainted about battery life.

If Jobs is still alive, he would have found a way to battle big screen phone with the original 3.5 but with Cook, he would probably introduce us 5 inch iphone very soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.