Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JacobT12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Hello,

I recently upgraded my late '08 MacBook unibody to 10.8.2, after a few months of using it, I can safely say that there's things I'm just not happy with, so I went ahead and backed up my data to an external drive, and set about downgrading to 10.6. I knew the only way to do it properly would be to format the HDD, and install 10.6 on the freshly formatted drive. Now, I'm traveling, and only have a flashdrive with 10.6.8 on it, so I figured that'd work, seeing as I've used it to reinstall the Snow Leopard in the past (we won't go into how I messed my OS up before).

So, I plugged the flashdrive in, held down ALT on boot, and selected Mac OS Install Disc from the list of available drives. I got the Apple logo with a loading icon, and then a minute later, a do not enter type sign, with the loading icon below it. Unsure if this was normal, I left it there for a few minutes, came back, and still nothing. I'm left unsure what to do, having had far less experience than I'd really like working with Mac's. Is there anyone with any ideas as to what I could attempt to get this working?

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Try repairing the flash drive in Disk Utility in 10.8, then try booting off it again. The "do not enter" symbol indicates a corrupted or otherwise totally-****ed-up system. Flash drives can decay over time, so it's possible yours is near the end.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
JacobT12, I am in a very similar boat to yours as I am trying to downgrade from Lion to SL by way of weeping the Lion HD partition.

I have data and OS in two different partition and now I have added a third one where I have an image of the SL install disk being recovered.

When the TM backup will finish I will restart the laptop and try to format the Lion partition to install the SL from the other.. If this will fail I hope I will be able to recover the previous partition from the TM backup...

I will report if I have any success, please keep posting yours as they might be helpful..

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Attempt not successfull.. The installer started but when I tried formatting the lion partition it just gave a kernel panic (bastard)..

I will try again next weekend with more patience and see what can be done..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.