Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
So I use notes for a lot of things. Recently I switched from 4s to a 5 and everything transferred over from my backup...except for my notes. I had some very important info in there and was wondering if it might be stored somewhere else that I a not looking. Any help? Thanks.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Go to icloud.com from a Mac or PC and sign in with your iCloud / Apple ID and go to Notes. All your notes should be there.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Also, for the future, they SHOULD be stored in your backup. I'm not sure what went wrong. It may be worth restoring again just to see if it works the second time.

(Anyone else: I'm not wrong, am I? Anyone else know if Notes are excluded from the backup for some reason? I can't imagine why they would be.)

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
My notes always have come back. Check out Evernote too sounds like it could be of use to you.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
To user Small White Car: Notes are definitely included in the backup, at least in iOS 6.1. Yesterday, my iPhone 5 was replaced because of a defective camera. When I did "Restore from backup" onto my new iPhone, all of my notes magically appeared.

You could try restoring from backup again.

The backup itself is located here:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

However, everything has incomprehensible hexadecimal names, so I don't know how to find just the notes. Maybe you could try searching that folder for some text that you remember was in a note?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.