Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sunrise Calendar is a smart calendar app that was designed by former Foursquare engineers to incorporate social networking and event information from Google Calendar, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

sunrisecalendar.jpg
The app, which uses swipe gestures for quick switching between calendar days, offers a feed populated with Google Calendar and Facebook events, along with upcoming birthdays and daily weather information. Sunrise provides detailed information about events, such as a Facebook or LinkedIn profile of meeting attendees.
-100% free calendar app with a gorgeous design.
-Compatible only with Google Calendar for now.
-A completely redesigned calendar experience for your iPhone.
-Synchronization that just works, in real-time.
-Quick Add Event just by typing "Lunch tomorrow at 9pm" (long-press on the +).
-Reminders.
-Timezone Support. No more headache when travelling!
-Facebook Events and Birthdays included.
-See faces of people you are meeting with using LinkedIn.
-Weather forecast based on your location.
-Smart icons.
-Tag location to events.
-Use Google Maps for Directions.
-Connect multiple Google Calendars.
Like Fantastical, Sunrise allows for colloquial language when entering events. For example, typing "Dinner with Bob at 6pm tomorrow" will schedule the appropriate event in the calendar. Sunrise uses a server component, much like Mailbox, to power its app integration and push notification system.

Sunrise Calendar is available as a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Sunrise Redesigns the Calendar Experience on iOS, Integrating Facebook, LinkedIn and Google Calendars

Mwongozi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Woodside, CA
Seems like an interesting idea, but unbelievable that it won't show your existing iCloud calendar. That seems like an essential feature to me.

rezzo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Chile
I still waiting to try Tempo Smart Calendar.
Look very nice Sunrise... and don't needed wait.

khirok

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
Worthless! Requires you to use your Facebook login and won't allow you to use it without that. For toting so much on Google why do they require Facebook?

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
Can't really understand how a company launches an app like this for iOS with no iCloud contacts support.

Do they expect me to just re enter all my calendar meetings once again on their app? What if I have 100 calendar meetings already booked on my iCloud?

The app looks great but I won't use it like this.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The interface and video look absolutely interesting, but from what I can see here is that a Facebook connection is mandatory and other calendars aside from Google are not supported. Such a shame.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Would be nice to try but not everyone has a Facebook account, I certainly don't.
You could quickly create one with just placeholder data simply to be used in cases like this (of which there are certainly more than a few).

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Cool, but...

Looks great, but I'm using iCloud, Google, Facebook and RSS iCal feeds and REALLY don't want to lop any of them off considering they work pretty well using iCal or Calendar or whatever the Mac App is called.

Progress is good.

KevinMHC

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
are there even any apps that can support iCloud ?

i dont think apple even lets apps access icloud info besides their own products

i can't even share my icloud calendar to someone else who isnt using icloud

stevebubble

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
UK
You could quickly create one with just placeholder data simply to be used in cases like this (of which there are certainly more than a few).

Cheers thats a good idea and with the growing number of apps that require a Facebook account I guess I will have to do that.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
are there even any apps that can support iCloud ?

i dont think apple even lets apps access icloud info besides their own products

i can't even share my icloud calendar to someone else who isnt using icloud

Yes. There do allow it now.
Week calendar for one accesses my iCloud cal. Groups drag and drop for iCloud contacts.

All these apps requiring a social media login can die on the vine as far as I am concerned. Social media is out of control, kind of representative of whoring your information for as many to see as possible.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes. There do allow it now.
Week calendar for one accesses my iCloud cal. Groups drag and drop for iCloud contacts.

All these apps requiring a social media login can die on the vine as far as I am concerned. Social media is out of control, kind of representative of whoring your information for as many to see as possible.
and if you just use a dummy account simply for login purposes what exactly is the big downside?

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
This looks like such a great app that I'm sure they'll have a million people on the wait list! Can't wait.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Looks good, but I don't want the 200 or so people I have as friends, but don't really know on FB, birthdays on my calender....

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Looks nice though ...

Hope the next version correct the little "mandatory Facebook" bug ... I don't want my calendar synced with FB. I stay with "Week Calendar" as alternative.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Worthless! Requires you to use your Facebook login and won't allow you to use it without that.

Ugh. I've immediately discarded more than a few apps because they refuse to function without my Facebook credentials.

We need a word for the business model "free download, but we get to mine your Facebook account for all it's worth".

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Ugh. I've immediately discarded more than a few apps because they refuse to function without my Facebook credentials.

We need a word for the business model "free download, but we get to mine your Facebook account for all it's worth".

I was going to say crap, but at least you can use crap to fertilize your garden.

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Question...

Has anyone used this application, and if so, how well does it perform given the multiple services?

(Also I agree the Facebook login should be optional. Perhaps enabled within the app's settings.)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Dunno. Does it give Zuckerberg and his minions access to my calendar info, even under a pseudonym? If so, then I'm not interested.
and why would it? Especially if you simply provide a placeholder account that you would have simply for sign in purposes? Never really seen any complexity or irrational fear in that.

----------

Why is that? Not exactly hard to have a placeholder account that is simply used for login purposes.

----------

Looks nice though ...

Hope the next version correct the little "mandatory Facebook" bug ... I don't want my calendar synced with FB. I stay with "Week Calendar" as alternative.
You don't have to sync it with FB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.