Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Just saying right now, I know nothing about jailbreaking an Apple TV. I do know about jailbreaking an iPhone.

I'm having HUGE problems connecting my Apple TV to my screen. It keeps giving me HDCP errors. It's not the Apple TV because other devices also do it. It used to work, then it stopped working, then I got an HDCP killer box, which worked perfectly until I unplugged the Apple TV from it after I corrupted it by unplugging the power while it was updating... It's fixed now, but for some reason, the HDCP killer box doesn't work with it on my screen anymore (works on other screens though!).

Anyway, is there a way to jailbreak an Apple TV so that it does not bother with HDCP? I know the ATV3 jailbreak is not out yet, but once it is, does anyone know where to go to kill HDCP on this thing? I know some devices let you disable HDCP at some penalty (lower quality usually), so there must be some way to disable it on the Apple TV and still give me 720p (screen only does 1080i and 720p or lower).

I am going through a switch to get to the screen, but shouldn't that support the HDCP? Or do only certain switches support it? I can't remove the switch; it is a must that I have it connected.

If this doesn't work out, I may have to resort to ThePirateBay to get movies. At this point, I don't care for paying for these anymore, but it's inconvenient to pirate.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.