Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Just got the Otterbox Armor for the iPhone 5 today and thought I would give everyone some pictures. The pictures suck as the only camera over here is an iPad. It's not as huge as I thought. I included a couple pictures showing the Armor next to the TakTik Extreme and the Lifeproof Fre for size comparison.

The Armor also comes with a cheap lanyard.

ar01.jpg

ar02.jpg

ar03.jpg

3cases01.jpg

3cases02.jpg

3cases03.jpg

3cases04.jpg

:eek:

Last edited:

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
wow that's really thick.. now i am contemplating if i should cancel my order and stay on lifeproof...
thanks for the pictures though!

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
How's the sound quality on calls and speaker?

Also how is the touch sensitivity on the screen?

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I won't be able to test it until I get home later tonight. My phone is bolted into the TakTik Extreme right now and the tools to open it are at home. :mad:

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for sharing.Nice pictures. Keep us posted.

Yea Christy let us know how the sound quality is. I read a review on imore and they said they had issues while talking on facetime and speaker phone. The case was for the 4s but any how hopefully it isn't for the 5.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I'll see how it is later tonight and you know I won't sugar coat it.

Here are a couple more pics.

armorstand01.jpg

lpo01.jpg

lpo02.jpg

lpo03.jpg

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Damn that is a thick case. If it wasn't for that it wouldn't be bad, but it almost looks like it is thick as two iphone 5's on top of each other

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Here are some first impressions after using the case for about 30 minutes.

No Oil Slicks or rainbows but there is a noticeable gap between the screen protector and phone when using the touch screen.
The calls are nice and clear on speaker phone and regular but the person I was talking to said I sounded garbled and somewhat broken up.

The metal latches to close the case are pretty hard to shut and the port covers are not soft like I was expecting, they are hard and tough to open and close.

The home button also sucks.

The case is very uncomfortable in the hand, the edges from the back cover are really sharp.
This case is a MONSTER.

The charge port opening is just barely big enough for the Apple lightning cable to plug into, so don't count on using any other cables with this case.

I'll play around with it some more later tonight and see how it does.
I would not rush and get one just yet. :eek:

Last edited:

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Lifeproof has there own set of problems that a lot of us are fed up with.

Well it seems this is having its fair share of problems already. Plus it is $20 more. I hope someone can come out with a case without all these issues.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Do some people acctualy find the design of otterbox cases attractive or do you just get the case based on the superior protection?

I had an otterbox before but it seemed to fall apart over time. They used to be pretty much the only thing out there protection wise, but now there are a decent amount of alternatives that offer similar protection. I think like anything people just buy it because it is what they used and are familiar with.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Here are some first impressions after using the case for about 30 minutes.

No Oil Slicks or rainbows but there is a noticeable gap between the screen protector and phone when using the touch screen.
The calls are nice and clear on speaker phone and regular but the person I was talking to said I sounded garbled and somewhat broken up.

The metal latches to close the case are pretty hard to shut and the port covers are not soft like I was expecting, they are hard and tough to open and close.

The home button also sucks.

The case is very uncomfortable in the hand, the edges from the back cover are really sharp.
This case is a MONSTER.

The charge port opening is just barely big enough for the Apple lightning cable to plug into, so don't count on using any other cables with this case.

I'll play around with it some more later tonight and see how it does.
I would not rush and get one just yet. :eek:

Damn that sucks. I really couldn't stand all the problems with the lifeproof case and was hoping otterbox would get it right. Hopefully hear more reviews soon

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Damn that sucks. I really couldn't stand all the problems with the lifeproof case and was hoping otterbox would get it right. Hopefully hear more reviews soon

No, it's not as bad as the Lifeproof. The calls are clear and loud and everything seems to work. I've talked to a couple more people and they said I sounded fine.

I'll give it more time and see how it does. Maybe some others will let us know how they like the case. I'm just a tough customer. :p

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
No, it's not as bad as the Lifeproof. The calls are clear and loud and everything seems to work. I've talked to a couple more people and they said I sounded fine.

I'll give it more time and see how it does. Maybe some others will let us know how they like the case. I'm just a tough customer. :p

Yea assuming the case keeps the phone safe I'm concerned if people on the phone can hear me, screen sensitivity and hoping the home button isn't difficult to press.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.