Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced the Chromebook Pixel, a new Chrome OS-based notebook that Google is aiming directly at Apple's MacBook Air.
chromebookpixel.jpg
On the hardware front, Google has built in a high-resolution touchscreen display, as well as 32 or 64GB SSD storage, a backlit keyboard, and a dual core 1.8GHz Intel i5 processor. The unit includes a 12.85" screen with a 2560 x 1700, 239 ppi display -- the same range as Apple's 13" MacBook Pro with Retina, which has a 227 ppi screen -- as well as two USB 2.0 ports, a Mini Display Port connector, and a SD-card reader.

The machine runs Google's Chrome OS, the web-only operating system that the company introduced almost two years ago. As added perks, the Pixel comes with 1TB of Google Drive cloud storage for three years, and 12 free sessions of GoGo inflight Wi-Fi.
So what's next? Today we're excited to announce our newest laptop--the Chromebook Pixel--which brings together the best in hardware, software and design to inspire the next generation of Chromebooks. With the Pixel, we set out to rethink all elements of a computer in order to design the best laptop possible, especially for power users who have fully embraced the cloud. The philosophy of Chrome has always been to minimize the "chrome" of the browser. In much the same way, the goal of the Pixel is to make the pixels disappear, giving people the best web experience.
The Pixel comes in two flavors, a $1,300 model that includes 32GB of SSD storage and Wi-Fi connectivity, while the $1,450 option adds built-in LTE and a 64GB SSD. The Wi-Fi only model ships today while the LTE model is expected in 6-7 weeks.

While the Pixel's hardware is appealing, because it runs the Chrome OS there are not nearly as many apps available for it as comparable Windows or OS X machines. Gadget recommendation site The Wirecutter had this to say:
Maybe someday Chrome OS will really be enough of an operating system to replace Mac OS X or Windows on a productivity machine. But at $1,300, the Chromebook Pixel is just too much machine for the software. If you have the money to spend on the Pixel and you need the kind of hardware it's packing, you have so many other better options.

Article Link: Google Introduces the Chromebook Pixel to Compete With the MacBook Air

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
can't really see the appeal with the cloud based OS, might as well use an ipad.

or could be that google want to move into hardware business
without making another windows based laptop. The design is very similar to the macbook pro, can't deny that.

looking at the video, it looks very sluggish (edit, I mean the video on theverge)

SoIsays

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
Google has enough money to do these failure of a machine. These things should be $500 at most.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
List of reasons why this laptop won't take off
  1. Price
  2. Always-On internet connection
  3. Wifi 1299
  4. LTE 1499

Need anymore reason why it won't work?

Although I'll give you that 1tb of online storage space is tempting but if you are already on a tight budget you probably can't afford to stream 1tb of data per month (oh did it only mention that it includes on three months of storage, after that you got to pay). And as much as there are web apps, you just really can't replace the desktop apps. Even with Google Drive where I can create documents, more advanced features aren't there yet, some features you just can't export to the web as hard as you might try.

Last edited:

mshahnoora

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Expensive web-heavy OS which really lacks significant adoption in marketplace to make it worthwhile. Not to mention, secure.

There's a reason my company doesn't allow Andriod-based and other not-fully-secure OS's in our office.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Interesting concept, but no one in their right mind would pay $1300 for what is unquestionably an inferior product compared to other competitors within that price range. A "13 Macbook Pro Retina would be a much better choice in terms of hardware and software capabilites.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
They aren't competing with the Air. Who really thinks that? The author of the article (for link bait?)

That being said - I don't have any faith in this product unless you want to throw ubuntu on it because spec wise - it's pretty cool.

But for that price and the limitations of chromeOS - I can't imagine who this laptop is really for. You can get better for less with a full OS.

I have a Samsung Chromebook (the new one for 249) it's fantastic. For what it is. And for that price point. It's a great value based on specs, features and price point. This laptop? Um no.

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I feel like I can finally join in on the bashing at this site. This is THE STUPIDEST computer Ive seen released in my life I think. I have to think they have something coming for it to have it make even a little sense.

$1300
5 hours battery
No real OS
No USB 3
32GB storage
Web isnt made for high density displays
Knockoff design
Knockoff marketing
No way to put the Core i5 power to use
Poor touch performance

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.