Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiggy0444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Manchester, England
I have been trying to install a windows partition for the last few hours, to no success.
My college provides IT/Computing students with access to microsoft dreamspark, meaning I can get any version of windows I want for free legally, and I recently upgraded my macbook HDD so I decided to finally install a bootcamp partition :D I am using a 2008 white macbook, 2.4ghz, 4gb RAM, and I have just (Yesterday) installed the new 750GB HDD. I did a clean install of Lion, fully updated everything, and downloaded windows 7 32 Bit, and burnt the ISO to a DVD using Disk Utility. I partitioned my HDD with bootcamp, the computer restarted itself annnnddd... i get the black screen with a blinking cursor. I know that this is a common issue on later macs, not found much about my model, and I have been searching forums for fixes all day, but to no success. I have reset the PRAM, SMC, tried booting and holding option to manually select the disk to boot from, and nothing has worked. I went back to mac, repartitioned it, burnt windows 8 to disk, and tried again same story.

I did this for XP, 7 64Bit, and tried my consumer preview for 8, which runs perfectly on my iMac. On one occasion, bootcamp ejected my disk during restart, and I got the "No Bootable device message, and this wouldn't go when I put the disk in. Now, I could understand if the disk hadn't burnt correctly, or partition be faulty, but the chances of this happening on 4/5 different disks??? :confused: I have burnt disks from my dads PC (using RW here, dont know if that would make a difference) to see if it was disk utility at fault, the only thing I havent used is a flash drive, as mine is too small.
I just dont know what I can do, my mac is compatible according to apple, windows is straight from microsoft, just urgh! any suggestions?

also, Hello! This is my first post here, sorry for it being quite long :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.